K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Oldsmobile Intrigue: Bought a used 2002 Olds Intrigue. Overheating

Bought a used 2002 Olds Intrigue. Overheating so replaced the thermostat from one from Advance. Still overheating, so ordered special one thru GM dealership. Still overheating, so replaced motor. You guesses it...still overheating. Replacing radiator now.
Does this model have problems or just mine.
Someone told me he thought there was a recall for water pump and fan due to red antifreeze eating parts?

Hello, there were problems with this model in that the Dex Cool coolant would eat up all the aluminum components (radiator, heater core, water pump) You didn't get a lemon they pretty much all had this issue. There was a technical service bulletin (no official recall)

My suggestion would be to flush the system very well before installing the new radiator. You may also want to replace the water pump on the new motor if condition is unknown. I would also suggest using one of the newer dual compatible anti freeze mixtures. Prestone makes a great one that works with the red and green coolant.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The thermostat that I ordered thru GM is not working. Do I need to order another to replace that one or will one (less expensive) from an auto parts store work?

The auto store one should be sufficient. Try to get the name brand "Stant" they are high quality.