Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

My 2004 Mazda 3 just died while driving and would not crank

My 2004 Mazda 3 just died while driving and would not crank back up. Battery, and alternator are both good. The relay is buzzing when attempting to crank. Would that be the problem?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

In some cases when a relay is buzzing this can sometimes indicate an internal electrical fault in the relay itself or one of the signals to the relay is missing causing this.In some cases you can tap on a relay doing this and then if the vehicle operates properly when this is done then the relay needs replaced.

If you can tell me what relay is buzzing in what fuse or relay box location I can tell you what to test here to see if the relay itself is at fault needing replaced just let me know.This would require a test light or multi meter to do this testing.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete...thank u so much for responding. it is the main relay that is buzzing. There are three different of the same size and we have rotated all of them and its always the main relay that continues to buzz.

O.k.,the main relay can be a common problem as I have seen on some of the Asian/foreign vehicles and this sounds like what may be at fault here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it possible that when we rotated them, that we blew them ALL out?

If you swapped ones into this position that were not the same part number relay there is a good chance the relays are damaged as well as possibly other vehicle electronics as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They were exactly the same part number.

And the buzzing continued with different relays installed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a multi meter for testing electrical?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I don't : /
I apologize for the delay,in order to find out what is causing this issue with this relay buzzing a multi meter is needed to test the signals to this relay.This may be a voltage issue with a possible electronic ignition switch at fault,a ground issue from the computer with a possible internal fault in the computer itself or another external ground source or other components tied into this relay.This would need to be tested further with a multi meter to check and see what is causing this here.It would be a good idea to have the fault codes read out as well to see what codes have set.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your time, Pete. I was hoping that it would be an easy fix. I just had my transmission rebuilt. Im a single mom with no financial help from the father and am freaking out a little. : )

Your welcome.I wish I had more info to help with here but with this type of issue being electrical the circuits would need to be tested to locate this fault.If you had this meter I could walk you through the testing but it sounds like someone that does or a shop or dealer would have to do this.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help when your ready.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete....well, since i was out of town, i had to borrow a car to get home. I mailed my spare key to my friend hoping that it was the chip in the key.He recieved it, it cranked right up, but when he put it in drive to test it out, it died again. Wth? Do u think it is the battery not having enough power to get it going? I keep reading about a coil....what do YOU think? *sigh*

With the relay clicking and it stalling out like this when placed in drive this may still be a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself possibly.I would still have this switch tested to see if it is sending the correct voltage signals.

Thanks Pete