Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Ford F150 Lariat: The newer Ford F150 Supercrew front doors

The newer Ford F150 Supercrew front doors open approx. 10-12 inches more than the 2007 doors. What can a person do to prevent these front doors from opening so far and banging other vehicles in parking lots and banging other cars in the garage? I know you can buy new door detents. But the detents just add an additional stopping point, they don't prevent the door from opening all the way (again, banging the adjacent vehicle). Is there a way of adding a spacer in the hinges, prevent from opening all the way?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

Usually it is the door check that allows the door to open this far but the door hinges should have a stopping point on them as well.If not instead of installing a different style door check to only allow the doors to open less if you didn't want to go this route I have seen some put welds on the hinge brackets to where the pivoting part of the hinge hits this weld and keeps the door from opening any further.It doesn't look the greatest but I have seen it done.This is another option besides trying to find a door check that would fit this vehicle to prevent this.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete - Trying to weld anything to this hinge would be too risky for me in damaging the paint. What do you think about a spacer? Do you think a spacer could be put between the hinge and the hinge bracket? Like a horse show using a piece of strap metal. Have you ever heard of this?

I haven't heard of doing that myself but if you can get it to hold in place and not come loose or fall out then this should work.Whatever you can do basically to make the hinge stop from swinging to far.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help when you are ready.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete