sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

Mazda 6: Timing chain replacement?

Hi. I have a 2003 Mazda 6 Luxury Sports Hatch, 2.3L 4 cyl manual - 158,000Km. In the past few months, I have noticed a rattle from the front (apparently RHS) of the engine, especially at low speed/acceleration. The car has been serviced regularly by the dealer since new. After a couple of very disappointing services, I have now moved to a private mechanic who can't pinpoint the problem but is certain it is internal in the engine. He has suggested timing chain and I see from several forums this is probably likely. My concern is whether I should get it replaced sooner rather than later. The mechanic suggested waiting to see how if it gets any worse. What is the likelihood of the chain breaking? And consequences? I haven't been game to ask the mechanic for a quote yet! How much should I expect to pay for replacement (parts & labour) in Australia? Appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the noise is coming from the timing cover area at the front of the engine then I agree, it's likely coming from the timing chain. The timing chain has two guides and a hydraulic tensioner which presses on one of the guides to tension the chain. If the chain has stretched to the point where the tensioner can no longer keep it tight, a guide is damaged, or the tensioner has failed then it will cause the chain to slap the guide. This will cause almost a knock type noise at the front of the engine.

I would recommend having it replaced sooner rather than later. If the chain ends up breaking then you could do expensive internal engine damage.

Replacing the chain calls for right at 5 hours of labor and you'll have about $300 in parts; I would recommend replacing the guides and tensioner at the same time as the chain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi thanks for that. I note your experience is primarily with Chrysler, Jeep & Dodge - Do you have experience with Mazdas? I guess I was hoping for some advice from Mazda specialist as I'm not comfortable going back to the dealer after my last couple of experiences.

I do work for a Chrysler dealer so naturally my experience is mostly with Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep products, but we work on all brands, and I have service information for all vehicles. Your question had been up for an extended time without a response so I wanted to try to help even though I do not work at a Mazda dealer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for that. I do appreciate your advice. I think I will be asking the mechanic for a quote - I need a dependable vehicle and while I have been thinking about replacing the Mazda for a while timing is quite right financially. It's alsoa great cat otherwise and I've had it since new.

Thanks again.

You're welcome and good luck with your car!
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience