sean, Technician
Experience:  Certified Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.

Ford trasit 2002: Hi Im Trevor from australiaI have a transit

Hi I'm Trevor from australia
I have a transit 2002 2.4 di duratorq.
the one with the fuel lifter pump on top the fuel filter
it , when running goes like a rocket.
its done 240000kms
it just stops and at this time it starts and runs for 10 secs and stops again.
it was also blowing the lifter pump fuse no 5 (20 amp)
i piggy backed a direct power supply to the lifter pump from a spare terminal in the fuse box and it started straight away.
i took it for a ride and it stopped again after 2 hrs even with the direct supply still connected but did not blow the fuse.
now with the original wiring in place and a jumper direct feed piggy backed to the power wire , it still starts but in 10mins or 2 days it stops again , but hasn't blown the fuse again. the ford agent put it on his diagnostic machine and it showed power failure to the fuel pump.
they took a pile of money off me then said they didn't know what was wrong.
nobody in australia seems to understand these transits.
i'm pulling my bloody hair out over this
trevor mackenzie

Hello Trevor, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Have you confirmed that when the vehicle stops the lift pump has stopped working? Or are you going by what the dealer has told you?

Do you have the VIN of the vehicle? So I can obtain the correct details.

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to but please bear in mind the time difference between the UK and Australia.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sean,

Yes the pump is not running when the engine stops. I start it with the direct jumper lead to the pump, and it starts and runs fine. When i remove the jumper lead the engine runs for approx 20 seconds then stops and the pump is not running. The VIN # XXXXX XXXXX & Engine # XXXXX XXXXX

It is a Transit 125 350.

Kind Regards

Thank You

Hello again,

the fuel pump is operated by the engine management control module (PCM). The relay for the pump is energized by the PCM and sends power to the pump from fuse F1.5 in the fuse box under the bonnet. The fuse should be the 3rd fuse up on the left and is rated at 20 amp. Make sure this fuse is OK, check for 12 volts at this fuse with the engine cranking but without your jumper lead. If there isn't 12 volts check that the inertia switch for the fuel pump hasn't tripped this is a plunger switch inside the vehicle up behind the dash, just push the plunger down to reset it.

If this is OK check that the pump relay is operating, the relay is in the fuse box under the bonnet, it is the 2nd relay down on the right, it is a small relay. Try swapping this with another relay. The PCM monitors this relay and detects if there is no 12 volt feed from it.

The relay is only energized when cranking the engine or the engine is running, it isn't energized with the ignition tuned on but not cranking the engine.

Start with the pump relay circuit, let me know if I can assist further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou for your time Sean will try what you have suggested and I will get back to you asap if there is further problems.

But hopefully what you have suggested will be a fix.