Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Hyundai Accent GS: I have a 1999 Hyundai Accent with an automatic

I have a 1999 Hyundai Accent with an automatic transmission that slips out of drive, and down to a lower gear. It seems not to slip so much when set in in gear 2, but has done it there at least once. This week the check engine light came on and I took it to the dealer who diagnosed both 1) pulse generator and 2) temperature sensor (they wanted $600 to replace both) and then said even if I do that the transmission might be the problem (and wanted $2900 for that). I found a temperature sensor from Rock Auto at $22.00 but am having difficulty finding the pulse generator or speed sensor if that's what it is). The bigger question is, do these symptoms indicate the transmission or the sensors? I don't seem to have the problems that the others on this post have (no searching for gears, not stuck in 3rd). Mine is simply slipping out of drive and that seems to happen particularly when coming down a steep hill or accelerating more rapidly.

I'd appreciate any suggestions
Cheers

Stuart
hi
please explain..
does the speed ometer work?
when it slips out of gear,as you say,does it like go into neutral then drop down a gear?
does the engine lightb stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?
thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi:

Yes the speedometer works but the tackometer hasn't worked for a while, or at least it episodically works during a trip jumping up from zero reading to what ever revs are runnng and then functions for a while, then drops back to zero and so on

Yes it does seem to go to neutral for a few moments then to gear.

This problem got serious about two three weeks ago after going up and down some very steep but short hills in San Diego, but the check engine light only came on this week (Wednesday). The Hyundai dealer didn't give me the codes but said they indicated that both the sensors (trans fluid temp sensor and pulse generator were defective.

Thanks for trying to help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tim:

I replied below but here it is again:

Hi:

Yes the speedometer works but the tackometer hasn't worked for a while, or at least it episodically works during a trip jumping up from zero reading to what ever revs are runnng and then functions for a while, then drops back to zero and so on.

Thanks for trying to help.

ok
if the speedometer is working..there is nothing wrong with the speed sensor
..from the way you explain,,it soundsa as if the 4th cltch frictions are worn out and the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced,,sorry,,but,,i dont see an easy fix for this
thanks

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP