Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Ford Taurs: Air conditioner cycles off then back on in 2005

Customer Question

Air conditioner cycles off then back on in 2005 Taurus... dash lights and radio turn on and off too (I hear a ding sound)... only happens in 90+ heat... after an episode, when car is turned off I hear a "clicking sound" from the ignition switch for a few seconds.

The compressor was replaced last April. One mechanic said the system was low. The most recent filled it back up just a week ago.

Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

With all of these electrical issues here on this vehicle and the noise you hear coming from the electronic ignition switch itself this may be a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch fail several times before on several model vehicles and can cause electrical cut out issues like this here.

I would have the voltage output tested at this switch when the vehicle is acting up to see if this is the case here,this will require a multi meter tapped into the switch circuits to do this testing.If found one or more circuits is dropping out voltage when this occurs then this switch would need replaced to correct this.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am still waiting to get to the mechanic and tell him what you found.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No luck with it being the electronic ignition. They drove it all day with no issues. It WAS about 8 degrees cooler outside (92 instead of 100.) Don't know if this is temperature related or not...

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
They weren't able to duplicate the fault then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They got it to duplicate the fault once or twice, they just couldn't track down the cause. They DID tell me the motor shuts off when this happens, they had a computer hooked up while they were driving it.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Did they test the ignition switch with a multi meter tied into one or more of its circuits to see if voltage had dropped out when this occurred?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know. But I am headed by a dealer today and will ask him how much it would be to replace it, (or I might just order the part online, should be just a small rectangular box with some wires on the inside if I read the drawings right.) Doesn't LOOK that hard to replace myself (with a little help) and it's CHEAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Usually this switch is a small box with the wiring inside of it.It would be best to have this tested though when the vehicle is acting up before replacing it to be sure it is the fault this way your not replacing a switch that may not need replaced.I know this can be difficult to do with it being intermittent.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will keep you posted... THANKS AGAIN PETE!

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just an update. replaced the electronic ignition switch VERY EASY... seems to have done the trick, no more electronic hiccups

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Thats great to hear,let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete