Autotech58
Autotech58, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  38 years experience in the automotive repair industry with experience with many makes and models.
66697789

pontiac: Hello, I have a 2009 Pontiac G6. My car wont accelerate

Hello, I have a 2009 Pontiac G6. My car won't accelerate when speeding up. For example, if I'm at a red light or stop sign it takes a while for it to increase speed. I can hear the engine going as if im pressing the gas hard. The rpm goes up to about 4 but no more than 5 sometimes. I let a family mechanic check it ouf and they thought it was the coil pack but it wasn't. He also changed the sparks. Also my traction light comes on sometimes and I have to pull over and turn car off for about 2 mins until it go off. It makes my car shakes at stand still. Anybody know what could be going on and about how much it will cost to fix? O plus I just found out that parts from auto zone etc are not the real parts for newer vehicles. When taking it to dealership for free testing, the codes are: P0014 exhaust cam position syst performance, P0068 MAP/MAF throttle position airflow correlation, P0101 mass air flow circuit out of range, and P0420 catalyst efficiency low bank 1.
The guy told me it could be cam shaft and possibly causing other error codes.
Category: Car
Expert:  Autotech58 replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Dave.

From all the experience I have had with the symptoms and codes you are describing, it sounds like you might have a cam phaser error that has caused your engine to run bad for a while and has now clogged-up your catalytic converter. The engine sounds the way it does because it can get air in, but it cannot get the exhaust out.

The part about "P0068 MAP/MAF throttle position airflow correlation, P0101 mass air flow circuit out of range" is pretty much a "given" if this is the case, because the throttle position sensor is telling the computer that you are getting on the accelerator, but the mass airflow sensor is telling the computer that no air is moving through the engine like it should be with the throttle open.

So, to put it all into perspective, you probably need to replace the catalytic converter to get the air flowing again and you need to fix what "killed the cat" (which is most likely a cam phaser issue).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

To sum it up for someone who knows nothing about cars you believe it is the catalytic converter and not the camshaft?I'm also a little confused because after googling cam phrase always associated with cam shaft, so does that mean I will pretty much have to get both along with catalytic converter? Also about how much you think all this would cost?Thanks so much

Expert:  Autotech58 replied 1 year ago.

Not exactly....what I am saying is that there is very likely to be a problem with the cam phaser. This is not the camshaft itself, but the gear that goes on the end of the camshaft and allows for variable cam timing. it may be a problem with the cam phaser itself, the control solenoid for the cam phaser, or possibly the electrical circuits that control the control solenoid. This is simply an EDUCATED GUESS, based on the information you have provided. To find out what actually needs to be fixed, you must first DIAGNOSE the problem....that cannot be done over the internet.

Anyway, the possible cam phaser issue would be the CAUSE of your problems. The catalytic converter getting clogged up would be the RESULT of the problem that CAUSED it....I hope you are following this....

In any case, this does not sound like a cheap fix. You should prepare for the worst. Catalytic converters are never "inexpensive". That is the whole reason the Check Engine light was invented.....to get your attention so you will get your vehicle diagnosed and repaired BEFORE the catalyst gets destroyed by some other simple malfunction. It has been my experience that 90% of the catalytic converters that get totally clogged up are the result of vehicle owners that continue to operate their vehicles with the Check Engine light on, and don't bother taking it to get diagnosed until the engine is refusing to run any more. By that time, the high-dollar damage has been done. This may not be true in your case, but if it is not, you are among the other 10%.....sometimes the catalyst just breaks apart inside and clogs things up for no apparent reason.....manufacturing defect???

COST is something else that cannot possibly be estimated with any accuracy before the problem is actually diagnosed. From what I can tell here, the catalytic converter being clogged up is almost a given, from the description of the problem that you have provided. However, there are MANY variables here that have to be factored into the actual cost of repairs. First, shop labor rates can vary greatly from shop-to-shop. Then the price of the catalyst itself can vary greatly, depending on if an original equipment type catalyst is used, or if a cheap "universal" catalyst is used.

Anyway, if you need an estimate of the cost of the repair, I highly recommend that you get that from whomever you are considering for the job. Anything I can tell you over the internet would be pure speculation and probably very inaccurate at best.

Autotech58, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 38 years experience in the automotive repair industry with experience with many makes and models.