Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

1995 buick park avenue, whiring noise sounds like alternator or power steering pump but

Customer Question

1995 buick park avenue,
whiring noise sounds like alternator or power steering pump but still makes noise with belt disconected and engine idling!
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to try and assist you with this.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

Is this a hissing type whirring noise and can it be heard coming from the engine throttle body area at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi pete

noise sems to be everywere sounds more like a whining than a hiss

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Does the noise pick up speed at all when the engine is revved up with the belt off or do you know for sure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not sure i think it was the same?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,since I am unable to see the vehicle to hear the noise and check it over it can be difficult to pinpoint this to be sure but if the noise stays the same when revved up with or without the belt on this usually indicates this isn't the engine causing this here as usually the engine would increase the noise speed or change pitch when revved up.

This may possibly be a component in the transmission causing this or possibly even an exhaust leak as I have seen exhaust leaks make some funny noises before.I would inspect the exhaust and see if anything is found damaged or loose or any leaks.If the exhaust is o.k. I would use an automotive stethoscope to listen around the transmission and to be safe the engine area to see if the noise is heard and where the it is the loudest.You can also use a rubber hose with one end up to your ear and the other probing around the engine and transmission area to locate this noise.

I have seen camshaft bearings start to fail in this engine and can cause this noise here and is a possibility.I have also seen the harmonic balancer bolted to the front of the crankshaft start to separate and cause this noise when spinning but usually this noise would change pitch when revving up the engine.The transmission pump can also start to make a noise like this when its starting to fail.

All of these are common components to cause this type of noise here and would need further checked into to locate and correct this.In some cases if the noise is suspected internal in the engine or transmission the suspected component may need removed and taken apart to inspect further to locate it.

Thanks Pete

HERE is my profile if you need anything in the future on your vehicle here,you can save it to your favorites and come back if you have any future questions on your vehicle (besides this question here).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

would it be ok to place a video/sound on you tube?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can do this then upload or provide the link to it here and I can listen to it then and see if I can better try and determine the noise.

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks will do later today

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good,let me know when your ready.If I don't reply right away I will as soon as I can.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry for delay

here is the you tube link http://youtu.be/MVLNNHRtUps

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ouch thats noisy.Remove your oil fill cap and start it up and let me know if the noise is still there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes noise still there with cap removed

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,I was hoping this was a vacuum issues created by a stuck pcv valve as I have seen but with the cap removed it doesn't look like this is the case.This sounds metallic in the engine almost and its difficult to pinpoint from here where in the engine this noise is coming from.This may be a timing chain or timing component causing this.

The only way to know for sure unfortunately is to look into the engine further,it sounds more top end and not crankshaft or crank bearing related.Possibly camshaft bearing issue or timing components causing this.I would also check the air inlet into the throttle body with the tubing off of it to see if it is coming from the throttle body area.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi pete

yes answer was fine, have you been paid?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I did receive credit and thank you.If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete