Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Mazda: Hi. I was just given a 1990 RX-7 non-turbo with the

Hi. I was just given a 1990 RX-7 non-turbo with the 13B engine. It has not been started in 2 years. I just installed the starter, new plugs and battery. The engine started right up, but it won't idle; I have to keep it at about 1500 rpm. While it's at 1500 rpm, it burps and bumps a bit, but if I give it more gas it climbs smoothly up to 3-4000 RPM. I let the engine warm up to operating temperature by keeping it at 1500, but it still won't idle. When I release the gas, it dies.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

In some cases this may be caused by bad fuel in the fuel tank itself.If you did not drain out the fuel and add new clean fuel I would start with this to see if this resolves the issue here.I have seen bad fuel cause this several times before or even water that may accumulate in the fuel in some cases.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's not the gas, I drained and replaced it. It runs up all the way to 8000 rpm great, it just won't hold an idle. As soon as I let it get to 1000 RPM, it immediately drops and dies. If I keep it at 1000-1100 by artificially keeping the throttle open, it surges consistently but keeps running. It's a stable surge, not random at all, like it's hunting.

It may be a good idea to have the fault codes checked in the computers on this vehicle to see what codes have set as well as the throttle body checked to make sure there isn't an issue there as well.I would also check for any vacuum leaks.