Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Remove a 97 Saab 900 SE dash

How do I remove a 97 Saab 900 SE dash? Instrument cluster cuts in and out. appears to be a loose connection.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

From what you have described here this may be a loose connection at the back of the instrument cluster itself or it may be an internal electrical fault in the cluster as well.If no other electronics are acting up with this fault here this may be a fault with the cluster as I have seen some act like this in the past and ended up being a fault with the circuit board in the instrument cluster causing this having to replace the cluster to correct this.

Here are the instructions I have located on the instrument cluster removal for your vehicle here.I would check and see if the connections at the back of it are tight and if found to be o.k. I would suspect a fault in the instrument cluster itself.

To remove
1 Remove the steering column cowls.
2 Remove all switches, the Saab Information Display (SID) unit and audio system from the dashboard.
NOTE: Do not forget to mark all connectors.
3 Remove the 9 screws securing the front panel.
4 Withdraw the front panel.
5 Remove the 4 screws securing the instrument housing and lift out same.
6 Unplug the connectors or connector at the rear.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are there any places where there is a catch or other securing device that needs to be forced or pried to remove? Is it all just screws that have to be removed? Not counting the radio & SID - I've done that before. Thanks

From what I see on this here the only things that need removed are the screws for the front panel and the 4 screws securing the instrument cluster in place.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK - I'm all set for now. I am away for 10 days on vacation. Will try the fix when I return. Thanks for your help.

Your welcome.Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete