Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Land Rover Discovery SE7: I have a 2003 Land Rover Discovery

I have a 2003 Land Rover Discovery SE7.

There is no Land Rover dealership here so the expertise to make repairs is limited. Is there an inexpensive diagnostic tool I can use to get codes for the car. I am hoping to get the tool, locate the codes, and then come back to JustAnswer for help on what the codes mean so I can give them to my mechanic.

The ceiling has also started sagging and needs to be replaced. Are there any ceiling replacement kits out there for this model car?

Thanks,
Jason
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Ted G. :

Hi Jason, there are lots of low priced scan tools on the market that will read your engine and emissions codes, assuming you just have a check engine light on, that should do the job. If you have an ABS/HD/TC light on then it will require a fairly expensive scanner to get into the brake module or other modules on that vehicle. But if you just have a CEL then stop by the auto parts store, most will have a scanner for under $100 that can do OBD 2.

Customer:

Thanks Ted. What does OBD 2 mean? Any particular brand of scanner that I should look for?

Customer:

So far all I have is the CEL on.

Ted G. :

It stands for on-board diagnostics version 2. It is a government mandated code scheme that all vehicles must follow if made after 1996 and sold in the US. The good news is that this means even the cheapest scanner can read codes from the engine/emissions. I like the Actron scanners and most auto parts stores carry them. There are other cheap ones but Actrons are made by a large well known company (Bosch).

Ted G. :

As for your headliner, that is only going to be done by a pro and will be quite expensive to replace-factory parts only.

Customer:

Great. Once I scan the Rover and get a code, how do I "translate" the code so my mechanic can replace or make repairs?

Customer:

So the headliner kits that you can buy from the auto parts shops won't work for a Rover?

Ted G. :

We can do it for you here and help you with some diagnosis ideas once we have a code, just remember that there can be more than one cause for many codes, be careful if the auto parts guy tries to sell you parts based on codes unless some other diagnosis is done first.

Ted G. :

I doubt you will find and aftermarket kit for a low volume car like a Rover unfortunately.

Customer:

Thanks for the advice. I'm checking on-line for a scanner right now. I live in the South Pacific so access to these types of things is limited. We do have a Napa here so I'll check with them too. Once I have the scanner and can get some codes I'll get back to you.

Ted G. :

Okay, NAPA should carry a scanner for you, and I know you can get them from Amazon too.

Customer:

Cool. I'm on Autopartswarehouse and the only ones they show are by Aquess. I'll check Amazon as I know they ship here.

Ted G. :

That should be fine too, they are all pretty generic till you get into the big dollar full feature ones.

Customer:

Thank you Ted. Hope to talk to you again once I have some codes to run by you.

Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using our service!