Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

land Rover discovery: My 2004 rover discovery stalled while

Customer Question

My 2004 rover discovery stalled while driving ,now it won't start .Engine turns over gas is full relay clicks when ignition is turned on .I thought it might be the fuel pump however when I checked the voltage to the fuel pump it was only 4.9 -5.2 volts. i checked fuses and I don't see any obvious wire damage.When I pump the gas pedal it almost starts sometimes.Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX you actually swapped the relay with another one and seen if the pump has a full 12 volts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim, No I have not swap out relays

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

the relay is in the fuse box under the hood, in the diagram below, it is the R1 relay, swap this with the R3 relay, which is for the headlights and see if it starts, can you do this?

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you ,I,ll swap them right now Give me ten min.Cliff

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
No problem, let me know,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim I swapped relays still did not start 4.9 volts

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ok, remove the relay and check each socket for the relay and tell me how many have 12 volts when cranking, can you do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay test complete There are four ins 1 goes left to right ( 1 at twelve oclock) and the others go up and down 3 - 6 & 9 o'clock
1 & 6 = 11.8 volt

6 & 9 10.6 volts

3 & 6 ,0 volts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did you get that voltage reading?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I,m having trouble responding . Four pins # XXXXX goes left to right
the other three go up & down at 3-6 & 9 positions

1 & 6 = 11.6 volts

3 & 6 zero volts

6 & 9 10.6 volts

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ok, put the relay back in, but dont seat it all the way, leave it up enough to probe the terminals, check the 3 and 6 terms for voltage when cranking and tell me what the voltage is on these 2 with the relay in,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

test terms 3 & 6 when starting zero volts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

again ,terms # XXXXX & # XXXXX while starting zero volts

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
are you sure you have the right relay, if you have 4.9 volts at the fuel pump, one of these should have that same reading, the fuel pump gets its power from this relay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

terms 9 & 1 send 11.9 vlts to fuel pump trminal head .The 5.9 is constant at the same head

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
2 terms will have 12 volts when cranking, the n the computer grounds one terminal, and 12 volts come out of the relay on the purple wire to the pump, are you checking the purple wire at the pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes the black and wh/purple wires are 12 volts

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
so there is 12 volts on the white/purple wire at the pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes when the car is being started

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
i thought you said it only had 4.9 to 5.2 volts at the pump????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That 4.9 voltage is also at the fuel pump block however it is constant voltage the block is 4 pins

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ok, that wire is for the sending unit, not the pump, if you have 12 volts on the white/purple wire, then you have power to the pump, have you checked the fuel pressure yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no I don,t have pressor gauge

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought that when the key was in the on position that the pump had 12 volt so I checked it that way .When you had me check it when it was being started that's when I got 11.9 volts. also I'm not hearing the pump

when the key is on

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

when the key is first turned on, the relay will engage for 2 seconds to prime it, if you dont hear it come on for 2 seconds, then the pump is bad and will need to be replaced, you have already verified the pump has power, so it has to be a bad pump,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How does billing work I'll need a copy of invoice Thanks again

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
I only answer the questions, i dont no anything about the billing, you need to contact customer service with that inquiry, Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Tim I recieved the fuel pump for the 2004 roveryou helped me with the other day however the new one has an additional part on the top that an electrical harness and air or gas hose would connect to .I dont have that on the original part . can i us the new pump and seal the hose line or do I need to return the pump?Cliff

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
where did you get the pumpZ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Atlantic British ,I called them and they are going to send me a new one I hate cars .Thanks again.Cliff

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
yes, you will need the correct one, this pump will not work on your rover,Tim