Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a 1998 Monte Carlo. I was driving down the highway when

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Monte Carlo. I was driving down the highway when I heard a loud noise. I looked up in my rearview mirror, and my rear window had shattered. It was only about 69 degrees outside, there was condensation on my rear window when I left so I turned the rear window defrost on which will only stay on for about 5-8 minutes and automatically shut down. I had the a/c on the lowest setting and I was about 15 minutes into my drive when it happened. I was able to turn around and go home with most of the window intact. and now that I am home I removed all but a small portion around the perimeter. I found a salvage yard that has one for about $50 and I know I would have to buy a new gasket. Is this a job a do it yourselfer might be able to do , or should I take it to a glass shop where it will cost me over $200. My deductible is too high to even consider using insurance to pay for it. and replacement instructions would be needed for me to replace myself. I would also have a couple of helpers.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

Customer:

Hello

tims auto repair :

have you ever done this type of work before?

Customer:

Window replacement? no

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

i will advise you that it may be better to have a glass company to install it

tims auto repair :

these break easy when out of the car

tims auto repair :

and,,it is really hard to remove one that is already installed

Customer:

understood have you ever replaced windows before?

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

i have removed them by using a heat gun and a guitar string

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

i also have broken plenty..lol

tims auto repair :

i will give you a phone # XXXXX a company called safelite

Customer:

I know from the outside it doesn't appear as big as other jobs I have worked on with my cars, but I know looks can deceive so what is involved and whywould it be difficult.

tims auto repair :

they will come to you house and install a new glass

tims auto repair :

it is really hard to get out the replacement without breaking it

tims auto repair :

it really isnt that hard with the right tools

Customer:

I saw this video where 2 guys took a garage cable one guy in and one guy out and they each attached their end to a vise grip and sawed their way around the window

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

i use a guitar string

tims auto repair :

that is how to do it

Customer:

There is not much left of the old but about an inch wide around the perimeter

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

it is ruff to get it out like that

tims auto repair :

safelite may install it for around 200

tims auto repair :

call them and get a price

tims auto repair : (NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
Customer:

ok so say I had it out, is it difficult to put the replacement in and what does it entail?

tims auto repair :

it is best to let them do it

tims auto repair :

no..it isnt too hard to put in

tims auto repair :

you just apply window sealant glue

tims auto repair :

and lay it in place

tims auto repair :

but..not breaking it is the hard part

Customer:

where is it best to buy the gasket

tims auto repair :

an auto body repair shop

Customer:

they llok thick I would think if 2-3 people slowly and carefully put it in place is it that delicate?

tims auto repair :

one moment

tims auto repair :

ayes

tims auto repair :

one person can put it in if you are really easy

tims auto repair :

i dont seem to have pictures and written instructions for this

tims auto repair :

i was going to send to you

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

the youtube video is close i would think

Customer:

I couldn't find one for installing. also the defrost has to be attached to the window not sure what they use there either

tims auto repair :

please stand by

tims auto repair :

i will see if i can find something

Customer:

Ok

tims auto repair :

hmmmm

tims auto repair :

i have nothing in my database for this

tims auto repair :

strange

tims auto repair :

i got it

tims auto repair :

one moment

tims auto repair :

Rear Window Replacement

Tools Required
* J 24402-A Glass Sealant Remover (Cold Knife)
* J 39032 Stationary Glass Removal Tool
* J 34940 Rivet Gun
* Urethane Adhesive Kit GM P/N 12346392 or Equivalent
* Isopropyl Alcohol or Equivalent
* Cartridge-type Caulking Gun
* Commercial-type Utility Knife
* Razor Blade Scraper
* Suction Cups
* Plastic Paddle

Removal Procedure

Important: Before cutting out a stationary window, apply a double layer of masking tape around the perimeter of the painted surfaces and inner trim of the window.

1. Remove the rear window reveal molding. Refer to Rear Window Reveal Molding Replacement ( See: Back Window Glass Moulding / Trim > Removal and Replacement > Rear Window Reveal Molding Replacement).

03_gc01mlbdyA-401856.png
Full Size Image

2. Disconnect the rear window defogger electrical connectors.

83_gc00wbdyA-181953.png
Full Size Image

3. Disconnect the rear window radio antenna connector.

77_gc01mlbdyA-71179.png
Full Size Image

Caution: When working with any type of glass or sheet metal with exposed or rough edges, wear approved safety glasses and gloves in order to reduce the chance of personal injury.

Important: Keep the cutting edge of the tool against the rear window. This will allow the urethane adhesive to be separated from the rear window. Leave a base of urethane on the pinchweld flange. The only suitable lubrication is clear water.

4. Use J 24402-A or J 39032 in order to cut the stationary window from the pinchweld flange. Do this from inside the vehicle in order to protect the outer paint surface.

58_gc01vbdyA-412291.png
Full Size Image

5. With the aid of an assistant, use the suction cups in order to lift the rear window from the opening.

Installation Procedure

1. Verify all primers and urethane adhesive are within expiration dates.

Caution: When replacing stationary windows, use Urethane Adhesive Kit GM P/N 12346392 (Canadian P/N 10952983), or a urethane adhesive system meeting GM Specification GM3651G, to maintain original installation integrity. Failure to use the urethane adhesive kit will result in poor retention of the window which may allow unrestrained occupants to be ejected from the vehicle resulting in personal injury.

2. Inspect the following components for the causes of a broken rear window:

* The flange of the rear window opening
* The rear window reveal molding

3. Inspect for any of the following problems in order to help prevent future breakage of the rear window:

* High weld
* Solder spots
* Hardened spot weld sealer
* Any other obstruction or irregularity in the pinchweld flange.

Important: If corrosion of the pinchweld flange is present, or if sheet metal repairs or replacements are necessary, refinish the pinchweld flange in order to present a clean primer only surface. If paint repairs are required, mask the flange bonding area prior to the application of the color coat in order to provide a clean primer only surface. Materials such as BASF DE17(R), DuPont 2610(R), Sherwin-Williams PSE 4600 and NP 70 and Martin-Semour 5120 and 5130 products are approved for this application.

4. After repairing the opening as indicated, perform the following steps:
Inspect the condition of the rear window opening and the urethane adhesive bead in order to determine which installation method you will use. Refer to Short Method Description ( See: Windows > Components > Short Method Description) or Extended Method Description ( See: Windows > Components > Extended Method Description) for the guidelines.
5. Remove all traces of broken glass from the vehicle.
6. Clean around the edge of the inside surface of the rear window with a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water by volume on a dampened lint free cloth.
7. After repairing the opening as indicated, shake the pinchweld primer (black #3) for at least one minute.

03_gc01mlbdyA-245283.png
Full Size Image

Caution: Failure to prep the area prior to the application of primer may cause insufficient bonding of urethane adhesive. Insufficient bonding of urethane adhesive may allow unrestrained occupants to be ejected from the vehicle resulting in personal injury.

8. Use a new dauber to apply the pinchweld primer (black #3) to the surface of the bonding area on the body only.
9. Allow the primer to dry for approximately 10 minutes. Ensure that all nicks and scratches are covered.

31_gc00wbdyA-259375.png
Full Size Image

10. If the original reveal molding is damaged it must be replaced.
Install the new rear window reveal molding (1). Refer to Rear Window Reveal Molding Replacement ( See: Back Window Glass Moulding / Trim > Removal and Replacement > Rear Window Reveal Molding Replacement).
11. Start from the center and hand press the rear window reveal molding (1) onto the rear window (2).
12. With the aid of an assistant, dry fit the rear window in the opening in order to determine the correct way to position the rear window in the opening.
13. Use masking tape in order to mark the location of the rear window in the opening.
14. Slit the masking tape at the top edge of the rear window.

58_gc01vbdyA-412291.png
Full Size Image

15. With the aid of an assistant and the suction cups, remove the rear window.
16. Place the rear window inside up on a clean, protected surface.
17. If the original windshield is being reused remove all but a thin film of the existing urethane adhesive from the windshield surface using a clean utility knife or razor blade scraper.

Important: Do not remove all traces of the adhesive. Remove all mounds or loose pieces of urethane adhesive.

18. If the extended method is being used remove all but approximately 2 mm (3/64 in) of the existing bead of adhesive from the pinchweld flange.
19. Clean around the edge of the inside surface of the rear window with a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water by volume on a dampened lint free cloth.

Important: Do not apply the (black #3) primer to the existing bead of the urethane adhesive. Apply the primer only to nicks, scratches or the primed surfaces.

20. Shake the pinchweld primer (black #3) for at least one minute.
21. Use a new dauber to apply the primer to the surface of the pinchweld flange.
22. Allow the pinchweld primer to dry for approximately 10 minutes.
23. If the extended method is being performed, do the following:

47_gc01vbdyA-154028.png
Full Size Image

Important: Use care when applying the prep (clear #1) to the rear window. This primer dries almost instantly and may stain the viewing area of the rear window if not applied evenly.

24. If installing a new non encapsulated window:

1. Use a new dauber, to apply the rear window prep (clear #1) to an area approximately 10 to 16 mm (3/8 to 5/8 in) around the entire perimeter of the rear glass inner surface.
2. Apply the rear window prep (clear #1) to the same area of the glass.
3. Wipe the primed window area immediately with a lint-free cloth.
4. Shake the glass primer (black #2) for at least one minute.
5. Use a new dauber, to apply the rear window prep (clear #1) to an area approximately 10 to 16 mm (3/8 to 5/8 in) around the entire perimeter of the rear glass inner surface. The glass must be installed within 8 hours after applying the primer to the glass.
6. The primed surface of the glass must be kept clean.
7. Allow the glass primer to dry for approximately 10 minutes.

25. Shake the rear window primer (black #2) for at least one minute.

45_gc01mlbdyA-245290.png
Full Size Image

26. Use a new dauber, in order to apply the rear window primer (black #2) to the areas of the rear window (1) to which prep (clear #1) was applied.
27. Allow the primer to dry for approximately 10 minutes.

75_gc01mlbdyA-161427.png
Full Size Image

28. If using the short method, cut the tip of the applicator nozzle in order to provide a bead of 6.0 mm 1/4 in).
29. If using the extended method, cut the applicator nozzle in order to provide a bead 10.5 mm (0.14 in) wide and 10.5 mm (0.14 in) high.

40_gc01mlbdyA-161429.png
Full Size Image

30. Use a cartridge-type caulking gun, apply a smooth continuous bead of new urethane adhesive around the edge of the rear window where the primer was applied.
31. When using the short method, apply the urethane adhesive to the existing bead of urethane adhesive on the body.

07_gc01vbdyA-105247.png
Full Size Image

32. When using the extended method, use the edge of the rear window or the inside edge of the reveal molding as a guide for the nozzle in order to apply the urethane adhesive to the inner surface of the rear window.

58_gc01vbdyA-412291.png
Full Size Image

33. With the aid of an assistant, use the suction cups in order to install the rear window into the opening.
34. Align the tape on the rear window and on the body.
35. Press the rear window firmly into place in order to wet-out and seat the urethane adhesive.
36. Tape the rear window in places to the body in order to minimize movement until the urethane adhesive cures.

59_gc01mlbdyA-706194.png
Full Size Image

37. Clean any excess urethane adhesive from the body.

39_gc01mlbdyA-95572.png
Full Size Image

Important: Do not direct a hard stream of high pressure water at the fresh urethane adhesive.

38. Use a soft spray of warm water in order to immediately water test the rear window.
39. Inspect the rear window for leaks.
40. If any leaks are found, use a plastic paddle in order to apply extra urethane at the leak point.
41. Retest the rear window for leaks.

Caution: Insufficient curing of urethane adhesive may allow unrestrained occupants to be ejected from the vehicle resulting in personal injury.

* For the moisture-curing type of urethane adhesive, allow a minimum of 6 hours at 21°C (70°F) or greater and with at least 30 percent relative humidity. Allow at least 24 hours for the complete curing of the urethane adhesive.
* For the chemical-curing type of urethane adhesive, allow a minimum of 1 hour.

Do NOT physically disturb the repair area until after these minimum times have elapsed.

42. The following conditions must be maintained to properly cure the urethane.

1. Partially lower a door rear window in order to prevent pressure buildups when closing doors before the urethane adhesive cures.
2. Do not drive the vehicle until the urethane adhesive is cured. Refer to the above curing times.
3. Do not use compressed air in order to dry the urethane adhesive.

03_gc01mlbdyA-401856.png
Full Size Image

43. Connect the rear window defogger right electrical connector, if equipped.

83_gc00wbdyA-181953.png
Full Size Image

44. Install the rear window radio antenna connector.
45. Remove the protective coverings and tape from the vehicle and the headliner.

tims auto repair :

Rear Window Reveal Molding Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: You must remove the rear window in order to replace the rear window reveal molding. The original rear window reveal molding must be replaced with a new service part after removal.

14_gc01vbdyA-293022.png
Full Size Image

1. Use a flat-bladed tool in order to pry the end of the rear window reveal molding out approximately 75 mm (3 in) from the body.
2. Remove the rear window reveal molding, pulling the rear window reveal molding slowly away from the body.
3. Remove the rear window. Refer to Rear Window Replacement ( See: Back Window Glass > Removal and Replacement > Rear Window Replacement).

Installation Procedure

Important: The new rear window reveal moldings are primed and will adhere to the urethane adhesive.

Use a heat lamp, or heat gun if needed, in order to make the rear window reveal molding more pliable.

14_gc01vbdyA-293022.png
Full Size Image

1. Wipe the rear window area with a clean, dampened cloth using GM Window Cleaner GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNor isopropyl alcohol in order to clean the surface of the rear window for the installation of the new rear window reveal molding.
Allow to air dry.

38_gc00wbdyA-401852.png
Full Size Image

2. Install the rear window reveal molding to the rear window, starting from the center , hand press the rear window reveal molding into place.
3. Apply tape if needed, in order to keep the rear window reveal molding on the rear window.
4. Install the rear window. Refer to Rear Window Replacement ( See: Back Window Glass > Removal and Replacement > Rear Window Replacement).

tims auto repair :

again..call the number i gave you

tims auto repair :

they will come to your house and bring a new glass with a garentee

tims auto repair :

and,,may be cheaper than you think

tims auto repair : (NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
tims auto repair :

thanks

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a quote from glass repair down the road for 210, right now I'm leaning in that direction, after I buy primer, adhesive, gasket and window, I probably wouldn't be much better off and less aggravation not to mention it might end up a botched job so I think I'll play it safe this time. Thanks again

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.