Autotech58
Autotech58, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  38 years experience in the automotive repair industry with experience with many makes and models.
66697789

Saturn Vue: I have a 2009 Saturn VUE. Sometimes when turning

I have a 2009 Saturn VUE. Sometimes when turning the car off you cannot turn the key all the way to off and remove. If you wait about 1 minute you can then remove the key. From what I have found there is a switch in the shifter that is causing the problem but cannot find out for sure. Can you help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Autotech58 replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Dave.

I have seen this issue many times. It happens on several Saturn and GM models (they all use similar shifters).

The problem is there is a micro switch that gets stuck in the shifter assembly. There is no adjustment for the switch, and I have been unable to purchase just the switch itself. This results in having to replace the entire shifter assembly.

This is not a really hard job. About a "zillion" screws, 4 nuts, disconnect the electrical connectors and the shift cable, and the entire shifter comes right out. The shifter assembly is surprisingly inexpensive (not nearly as costly as I thought it would be the first time I ran into this problem).

For illustrated instructions on how to make this happen, download the PDF file HERE

The file will be deleted from the file server in a few days due to copyright restrictions, so you might want to save a copy to your computer for future reference.

Bonuses are greatly appreciated!

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Autotech58, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 38 years experience in the automotive repair industry with experience with many makes and models.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. That is similar to some of the info I had found but I never new for sure. The pdf files with the illustrations that you supplied is a great help.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Autotech58 replied 1 year ago.
Glad to help. I hope the information helps you to get the thing fixed.
Expert:  Autotech58 replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glenn,

I just wanted to thank You for using justanswers.com!

I checked your profile and I see that you are new to the site. I hope that the service I have provided for you has made a "JustAnswers Believer" out of you.

Please remember, you can come back to your question even after you have rated my services (at no additional cost) if you still need further assistance with the same problem.

My goal is to provide some of the best online automotive repair assistance available anywhere.
Feel free to contact me about all of your automotive questions. If I do not know the answer myself, I will help find someone else for you who does.

You can contact me directly in the future if you wish. You can do that by either asking for my profile name (Autotech58) in your question description, or by visiting my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-autotech58/

You can even save my profile page to your favorites list if you like.

Thank you again. I am looking forward to meeting more of your automotive needs in the future.