K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Associates Degree
68360881

Isuzu Rodeo: We have a 200 rodeo Isuzu. To us its new. A first

We have a 200 rodeo Isuzu. To us it's new. A first car for my 16 year old. Where do we put the oil in? I am asking b/c we were just accused of putting it inthe wrong hole. The engine seized up immediately after we changed the oil. We think someone did it before us buying it , by accident of course.
Category: Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you put it in the right place. See picture below so you can verify. Did you put 5 quarts of oil back in it?
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He said he put around 4.5 quarts. The thing is, all he did was change the oil and then he had to push it off the ramps. The trans had already stopped working. it would shift on the thing on the box on the floor beetween the seats, but the tranny just would shift. it's fine now, except there's a noise in the brakes in back when my kid backs uop she says and it runs louder than her dad's Sante Fe Hyundai.

If there is oil in the transmission, how long would it have taken for it to cause what happened? We had just bought the car maybe 3 hours beforehand...The mechanic who inspected it for us, we found out later, worked for the car dealer. I would still prefer to think the mechanic just missed what had happened in his 20 minute inspection before we bought it.

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
If engine oil was put in the transmission I would suggest having it completely flushed by a competent shop.
Your situation is kind of hard for me to follow. You changed the oil and then it would not go into gear (move ) so dealer or someone else said you must of put oil in the transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No--I'm saying the dealer accused my nearly son-in-law(n-s-i-l) of being so incompetent as to have put oil in the transmission reservoir, rather than in the hole where the oil actually goes.By your diagram, he put it in the right place.

it looked like the filter had been on there for a million years.I've never seen an orange plastic oil filter before that looked melted.

While he was changing the oil, I had looked at these other two reservoirs on the upper right, near the driver. one had a cap that said brake fluid the other said transmission fluid. that is NOT where he put the oil. Plus I had taken off the trans. cap on the reservoir. Inside the fluid looked really dark. I thought transmission fluid is not black? Smelled a little odd too. it makes me think this switcheroo all happened before we bought the car. The inspecting mechanic missed it.The dealer who bought it from the owner may have missed it too.

Maybe the original owner's kid did it and caused the immediate sale of the car? it came from a dealer down the street (Cable VW or Cable Suzuki) ) , and was bought by the wholesaler we bought it from (Spankey's) .

We needed to make sure my kid put it in the right place. And how long would it take for the oil in the tranny to seize up the engine--we're pointing fingers now, and not at my almost son-in-law.

it would have helped if the car had come with it's Isuzu manual, but it didn't. Although it would have helped the previous "mechanic" a lot more in not putting the oil in the transmission reservoir.

It cost us $150 to flush the tranny to get the oil out of it. it shouldn't have been sold to us in that condition, and the mechanic should have caught it.

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Ok, much clearer now. Yes I feel confident in saying it was no fault of your NSIL. It could of been a mistake of someone putting oil in there previously or it could of been some kind of additive to promote better shifting/prevent slipping (USed car places have definitely earned the reputation of being shady)
So as of right now the vehicle is running and shifting properly?
I would get a written statement from the mechanic who did the flush and see if the used car dealer would maybe go halfs with you on the cost. Word of mouth can make or break a business and I would let them know you would be sharing your experience.

To answer the original question, depending on the amount of oil that was in the transmission it could of begin failing in a matter of minutes to hours. Transmission fluid has a certain viscosity and the amount of oil would effect this and therefore alter the properties of the transmission fluid to where it would not build pressure. (like you guys experienced where it wouldn't move)
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Associates Degree