AMD
AMD, Master Technician
Experience:  L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist
65953032

scion XA: I have a 2006 XA, today started car has engine shake

Customer Question

I have a 2006 XA, today started car has engine shake and engine light came on with decreased power about 110,000 no problems before today. all fluid levels okay.
Category: Car
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Car question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

Customer:

yes

AMD :

Hello! how are you doing today?

Customer:

I would be better if my car was of course no repair shops in town open today or yesterday at least I made it home

AMD :

I'm sorry to hear about the car, I will do my best to help. Now here's what's going on.

AMD :

The vehicle is most likely misfiring, this could be caused by faulty coils or even possibly injectors.

AMD :

However the only way for us to be 100% sure is to get the codes that caused the check engine light to come on.

AMD :

If I may ask, do you live in the state of california?

Customer:

no WA

AMD :

Wonderful. Is there a parts store like auto zone nearby?

Customer:

yes

AMD :

Wonderful, Is it possible to take a drive with the car to that auto zone? Simply show up there and ask them for a free code scan. they will connect to the car and give you the codes. We need the code numbers. it will be a letter most likely P followed by 4 numbers. Let's get the codes and get back to me and we'll know for sure what is going on with the car.

Customer:

I'm note sure the car will make it and concerned that I might cause more damage driving it

AMD :

Is the check engine light flashing?

Customer:

yes

AMD :

OK How far is auto zone from your house?

Customer:

about 4 miles

AMD :

I think the car will be OK for 4 miles. It will make it this distance. I wanted to ask you a question. Are you willing to work on the car yourself? or you just need an idea of what's going on?

Customer:

yes if it is just a part change

AMD :

OK. now we will be doing a tad bit of diagnosis with my assistance to narrow the issue down and fix it. most likely parts replacement is going to be straight forward and doesn't require any special skills. However we might need to have a code reader handy. Is it possible for you to maybe call your local auto zone store and ask them if they rent out the code reader?

AMD :

You then can drive another car to the store and get the code reader and we can start working on the car together without having to drive it back and forth to auto zone

Customer:

yes I need to check when they open and I will call them

AMD :

OK another thing. if they don't have one to rent, would you be open to buy one? they are less than 100 dollars and they come in handy if you are fixing your own cars.

Customer:

Let me call them and get back to you

AMD :

OK I will wait here. take your time.

AMD :

Total labor for that and the radiator and you are looking at around 12-13 hours. At 70-90 dollars per hour.

AMD :

Sorry about that, disregard my last message

Customer:

I called them and I can rent the code reader I will go get it now

AMD :

Thank you I will wait here. When you are back scan the car for codes and get back to me with the codes.

Customer:

okay

AMD :

Thank you

Customer:

Hi sorry it took me so long the code is P0303 the coder they had for rent didn't work

AMD :

That's OK Welcome back.

AMD :

OK We will need a 10 mm socket with a ratchet, do you have that handy?

Customer:

yes

AMD :

OK Remove the top engine cover. look where the spark plugs are. there will be 4 coils. start counting from the passenger side of the car towards the driver side. disconnect the connector on the 3rd coil, remove the 10mm bolt then pull the coil up. then place a mark on this coil like a big X with a marker. then remove any of the other coils and swap locations with the suspected coil that is marked. I want the bad coil to end up somewhere other than no.3

AMD :

Then erase the codes with the code reader then start the engine and let it run for a few moments until the check engine light comes back on then shut it off and turn the key on again and check for codes. Do we still have p0303 or do we have another code?

Customer:

okay but I don't have the code reader because the one they rent didn't work

AMD :

So you drove the car to auto zone to get the code?

Customer:

yes

AMD :

OK I'm afraid we will have to do that again.

AMD :

swap the coil around then drive there again.

Customer:

okay

AMD :

Sorry about that it's our only way. If the code changes

AMD :

if the code changes buy a coil from auto zone and come back home.

Customer:

okay do I unplug the wiring from the coil when I swap or leave the connections the same

AMD :

Unplug the wiring from both coils. The wiring remains with the cylinder. So you are going to disconnect the wiring from both coils

AMD :

The wires are not long enough to reach so they stay where they are just the coils swap and plug into each other's connectors

Customer:

okay

AMD :

thank you

Customer:

I'm back I changed the coil and all is well you are the best

AMD :

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

No Thank You

AMD :

You're welcome. A positive rating for my input would be greatly apprecaited.

AMD :

thank you for using justanswer.com

Customer:

I would be very happy to do that, thanks again

AMD :

You're welcome.

AMD, Master Technician
Experience: L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist