ClayA
ClayA, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ten years experience, ASE Master and Advanced Level Specialist certifications. 2006 Winner National Ford/AAA Student Auto Skills
74704726

Land Rover Range Rover SE: I have a 1999 range rover I have

Customer Question

I have a 1999 range rover I have changed every part on the cooling system. but it will not over heat until I take it on the high way at speeds around 65. when I bought this car the thermostat looked like the previous owner had drilled it out that worked for awhile the only thing I can think of is there is an air pocket in the system. I also did a pressure test on the cylinders to make sure the head gasket was alright and it was ok. I just cant figure this out.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer ! my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this problem
did you bleed the air out of the cooling system this way here ?

1. Disconnect radiator bleed hose at the radiator.
  2. Blow through hose to clear any residual coolant. Reconnect hose. CAUTION: If radiator bleed hose is not cleared of coolant, air may become trapped at top of radiator during refill, leading to subsequent engine overheating.
  3. Fill expansion tank until coolant is level with base of neck.
  4. Start engine, continue filling at expansion tank until coolant level stabilizes at the 'COLD LEVEL' marking.
  5. Run the engine until the thermostat opens (top hose becomes warm).
  6. Stop engine, allow to cool.
  7. Check coolant level, top-up as necessary.
  8. Refit expansion tank filler cap.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have bleed like you said on every part I have in stalled it still over heats at speeds around 65 do you have any other suggestions?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok let me ask a few questions here
has the coolant system been flushed out completely with a chemical flush ?
how old is the radiator ?
has the fins of the radiator and a/c condensor been blown out with an air hose?
how old is the waterpump ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

radiator is new water pump is new don't think it has been chemical flushed but it has lost its coolant seveal times

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
lost its coolant from boiling out ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hose came off

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok lets do this if you remove the thermostat and drive it without the thermostat will it still overheat on the high speeds ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how is that possible what do I use inplace of thermostat

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
nothing just remove it and drive it without it and see if it still overheats
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok if it does what would you suggest and if it dosnt what do you suggest

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
if it will NOT overheat with it out either the thermostat is bad OR the coolant system would need a chemical flush to clean it out as with it not acting up with the thermostat is would show a flow problem as when the thermostat is out it will flow more
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok ill try that and get back to you thank you

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok let me know
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
i noticed you have not rated us at Justanswer.is there anything else we can help you with ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

right now its bad service if I rated you my range rover has a external t-stat and it is imposable to remove it it has hoses of different sizes going to it so you were no help

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
totally my fault for looking up the wrong year im very sorry
did you replace the thermostat or flush the coolant system yet ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes that was the first thing I replaced still over heats I am going to drill out the t stat so I can drive it on the high way but it gets cold in stlouis that is why I spent 19 dollors to ask an expert to fix my problem if you cant I will be very disapointed

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
lets see if another expert can help hang on another expert will reply back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my 1999 range rover is over heating only on the highway at speeds of 65 I have changed every part on the cooling system bled it out the correct way even jacket the car up on one side and left it over night still over heats

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 1 year ago.

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I am willing to wait I need an answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if you cant find an expert will you refund my money

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about mike the mechanic the infinity expert he help me once with my air suspention problem

Expert:  ClayA replied 1 year ago.
Have you replace the radiator cap? Insufficient pressure in the system can lower the boiling point and cause the vehicle to overheat while driving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it doesn't have a radiator cap you fill it in the reserve plastic tank

Expert:  ClayA replied 1 year ago.
The reservoir cap is what I was referring to. It hold pressure on the system the same as a traditional radiator cap.

Looks like this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I changed the reservoir cap still overheats

Expert:  ClayA replied 1 year ago.
What coolant are you using in the system? I am trying to research this issue further. Hold in there and we will continue working to resolve your overheating issue.

Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just have straight water in it till I figure out what is wrong I think I will just trade it in on another car

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

straight water till I get it fixed

Expert:  ClayA replied 1 year ago.
Straight water does not cool as well as coolant due to a lower boiling point and less heat transfer abilities. One question I have is do you have a hot heater after the car warms up? If the heater is not hot then there is still air in the system.
Expert:  ClayA replied 1 year ago.
Also make sure your belt is routed correctly.