Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

GA Suzuki Sidekick JX: I have a 1993 suzuki sidekick automatic

Customer Question

I have a 1993 suzuki sidekick automatic 16v. mutiport fuel injection. it runs great, and recently passed emisions with flying colours. it has however recently developed a starting issue. when it is let sit for awhile, if you try and start it, it will turn over and sputter a bit but it wont start. if it does start it will run for a few seconds and die. Now the solution to this has been to leave the key switched to the on position for about a minute or two. after with you will hear the vaccuum valves, start clicking repeatedly, followed by the idle air valve, and finally the fuel pump relay engages and the fuel pumps begins running steady, although with slight pauses. then if you crank the engine over it starts right up and runs fine. it will continue to start and run fine so long as it is not laft to sit for a hour or two. I have checked the fuel pump relay, and even if you close it manually it still will not start, and the relay looks fine so i don't believe it to be the relay , or the pump or the pressure. I have had a look at the vaccuum switches and I don't believe them to be at fault either. the wiring diagram I am using is all but useless as the colour codes are not correct. The ecm was replaced awhile back.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

HI'

tims auto repair :

are you saying the fuel pump does not come on for 2 seconds when you first turn the key on?

tims auto repair :

the pump should come on,then shut off after a couple of seconds when you first turn the key on

Customer :

it does sometimes, but when the problem occurs it does not. I have checked the relay and physically closed it and it is not the problem. it is not recieving a signal. if the car doesn't start, I will switch the key to the on position and wait. after about a minute or so I will hear the vaccuum valves first start to click rapidly then the idle air valve, then the slow and stop and the fuel pump relay closes and the pump starts running and the car starts fine. it only does this if it has been sitting for awhile. otherwise it starts and runs fine.

tims auto repair :

sorry i missed you....

tims auto repair :

i need to know if it will start with starting fluid when it is acting up

tims auto repair :

let me know

tims auto repair :

are you there?

Customer :

okay i have removed the covers off the relays and it does close the fuel pump relay for a split second. if I close it manually the pump comes on but the car still does not start. if the key is left on as I said, after a time the relays and switches will begin to chatter. The fuel pump relay is last and it will open and close quickly a few times and finally it will close for about 10 seconds at a time and then open and stay open until you crank the engine. at which time it closes and the car starts. I am not into squirting starting fluid into a gas engine, and I am honestly surprised to have a Mechanic ask me to do that. if it were a diesel i would have no problem with it, but as it is gas all i would be doing is causing undue wear and possible damage to the rings. the suggestion is a bit backyard, no offense. I would use gas in a spray bottle if anything. but if all we are doing is trying to verify spark or wether the injectors are firing I can do that.

tims auto repair :

starting fluid will not hurt the engine,,and it would tell us allot...i dont have any idea who told you not to do this..

tims auto repair :

but,i will opt out..

tims auto repair :

maybe one of the other guys would be better to assist you

tims auto repair :

someone will be right with you

tims auto repair :

thanks

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m Josie a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from another one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this time the service was of no help to me at all. in the past I have had better luck. Being a mechanic myself with nearly 20 years experience, I felt that I had a better understanding of this issue than the "expert" that I was connected with.I had been hoping to find someone who may have encoutered a similar problem or who had access to a better wiring diagram,. this has been my experience with this site in the past. so i would like to withdraw and close the question.