sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience

1997 holden rodeo cranks nicely but cant start.I have change

Customer Question

1997 holden rodeo cranks nicely but can't start.I have change the ignition coil & module but still can not start
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The first thing I would recommend is checking for fault codes if you are able to. Many problems that will cause a no start situation will set a fault code that will aid in diagnosis.

If you are unable to check for codes or there are none set then first determine if you are missing spark, fuel or both. You should hear the fuel pump run when the key is first turned on or when the engine is cranking. You can also check for spark, or you could see if it will run off some carb cleaner sprayed into the throttle body when cranking. If it won't run off carb cleaner then you are missing spark or there is an engine mechanical problem, if it does run off carb cleaner then you know spark is ok.

If you're missing only spark then it may be a cam or crank sensor issue. These are the most common items that would cause a loss of spark, especially since the coil and module have been replaced. It could also be a wiring issue or the engine controller itself.

If you are missing fuel pressure only then the most likely cause would be the pump, but you'd want to make sure it's power and ground are ok before replacing it.

If you're missing spark and fuel both then it is likely an ECM related issue or a loss of power or ground from a blown fuse or wiring issue.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where can I find the cam or crank shaft sensor on the 1997 rodeo

The crank sensor mounts into the engine block, has a three wire connector and a single bolt holds it in. It's on the right side of the block near the rear and accessed from underneath.

The cam sensor is inside the distributor and serviced with the distributor, but you may be able to get the sensor by itself in the aftermarket.