Ridgerunnerras
Ridgerunnerras, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I have been fixing cars for 26 years for myself and at a used Car dealer. I am skill mechnical and autobody and paint repair

Mercury Capri: I have a 1991 mercury Capri. I started taking

Customer Question

I have a 1991 mercury Capri. I started clutch repair and disconnected everything requested by the manual. The transaxIe is free from all, I also pulled the bolts from the transaxIe to the bell housing, but it only comes out about 1/2 in. and is stuck. I cannot seem to get the transaxl off. I didn't take both 1/2 axles off, just the driver side. I probably have to take the otherside off as well. I just need to know how to get to the clutch plate to replace it.

Category: Car
Expert:  Ridgerunnerras replied 1 year ago.

Hello I would like to help you

You are going to have to remove the transmission from the car or at least away from the engine enough to get the input Shaft from the trans out of the clutch. Basically the trans will be completely unbolted from the car

the reason for this is that when you go to put the new pressure plate and clutch disc in you are going to need to use a clutch alignment tool to get the clutch disc centered.

If you do not do this then you will not be able get the Trans back in as the shaft will not be aligned and will not go in.

Ridgerunnerras, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I have been fixing cars for 26 years for myself and at a used Car dealer. I am skill mechnical and autobody and paint repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything is unbolted and ready to slide out. I disconnected the bell housing from the transaxle case, but not from the engine. I had the transaxle disconnected from the bellhousing and was only able to slide it back about 1/2 inch. Then I realized the bell housing should remain attached. Is this correct? and if so, can the entire transmission slide out without taking the passenger drive shaft loose? Also I now need to reseal the transaxle to the bell housing,as I separated them thinking they were supposed to come apart to get to the clutch. When resealing the bellhousing to the transaxle, what sealant should i use?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also, did I dammage anything by trying to pry the transaxl case from the bell housing while still connected to the engine?