K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Isuzu Rodeo: Hello, I have a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo. Its the 3.2L,

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo. Its the 3.2L, 4WD. I was toying with the idea of swapping the engine for a diesel. First is this even possible and second if it is how would i go about it and would it even be a good idea. I was thinking about trying to find a Cummins or Duramax but most of those weigh easily twice as much as the current engine.
Category: Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 3 years ago.
Hello, It's possible but the amount of fabrication required and parts needed from a donor vehicle would make it financially and labor wise inadvisable. with some vehicles companies make adapter kits that make swaps easier, not so in this situation.
If it was something you were doing as a project kind of thing to have a unique vehicle it could be doable but it would be a hard road to go down. If you're just needing a new engine I would suggest checking salvage yards, e bay or this website.