Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

suzuki Grand Vitara: 2001 grand vitara 2.5L idle stays high

Customer Question

2001 grand vitara 2.5L idle stays high after warm up and every two starts goes into fail safe mode, no MIL, but stores a P0505 code. have cleaned IAC checked resistance of coils @ 22ohms and voltage at 13V checked resistance through wires from ecm @ 42 ohms. With iac valve off but still wired it moves and them stops every time the key cycled off/on. The throttle cam has a gap at operating temp but the idle is still high @ 1300rpm or so. When I pinch off the hose to the IAC valve the idle drops.
so my question is WHEN is the IAC valve supposed to be open and when is it closed. or what position is the valve supposed to be in when cold and when hot. any other suggestions as to what to look for would be appreciated. oh yeah, I've also substituted ECM's and got same result.
Category: Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 3 years ago.
Hello, with the key off is the throttle plate completely closed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am going to open this up to other experts. Someone should be with you shortly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just please remember my original question.

when is the valve open and when does it close.

for instance, should the IAC valve be open or closed when sitting in the driveway warmed up with no accessories turned on?