karrs2fix
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master technician,L1 certified,Tech net training,16 years experience
17741603

2005 Hyundai Accent: I have a 2005 Hyundai Accent. Never has

I have a 2005 Hyundai Accent. Never has caused me any major problems - just run of the mill things. I used it one day and 5 minutes later went to use it again and it wouldn't start - absolutely nothing. Lights, radio and other things are good, just nothing - not even a click. No lights indicating anything wrong prior to this and vehicle was working well. ???

karrs2fix :

Have you tried to jump start? How old is the battery ? Do you have a volt meter to measure system voltage in a few spots?

Customer:

no, haven't tried jump start. battery is old but is checked periodically. and no don't have a volt meter - but was starting fine prior to this one time

karrs2fix :

I would try jump start first, batteries only last around 4-5 years and can fail at any time with age. If jump start doesn't work we will either need a volt meter to do some testing or have it towed to a service facility.

karrs2fix :

Were you able to get the car jump started, have the starting and charging system tested along with load testing the battery??

Customer:

I knew the battery was ok as everything was working on the vehicle, except it wouldn't start I believe I said that.. - I had it towed to the garage - they again tested the battery and charging system (seems no on believes I do know a little) . In any case it's out of my hands rights now as it is at the garage.

Could be the starter itself or ignition switch, all that can be confirmed / tested during the starting and charging system evaluation.