Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Suzuki: 93 suzuki sidekick Fuel probl

Customer Question

93 suzuki sidekick Jx wouldn't start. Changed fuel pump and fuel lines then discovered no power from relay to pump. Ran a new wire from relay to pump and pump works but rpms very low car barely runs. Changed fuel filter which had rust in it car runs a little better but backfires and idle rpms real low
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is Amedee and I can assist you with your question.

What is the fuel pressure at when the engine is at idle?

Does the fuel pressure leak down with the engine turned off?

Have you checked for codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have anything to check codes or fuel pressure. I ran it for a good while and it was running better tho sometimes backfiring. Then I noticed my tail lights came in when fuel pump was activated and also turn signals and brake lights were mixed up. I pulled the ecu I'm thinking its mixing up the electronics including fuel pump. Unfortunately your response is late I'm goin to try replacing the ecu which is already a replacement part. Does that make sense to u
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

I would not replace the ECU for this condition.

If you would like to proceed, just let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If not the ecu what could be sending power to the lights when switch is off.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Anything that can cause a wiring issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Lights may be a separate issue tho I usually don't believe in coincidences. So here's where we are I have run a wire from the relay to the fuel pump and the car starts however it idles low diesnt always respond to acceleration and backfires the ecu is removed from its bracket and still hooked up I don't know how to check fuel pressure or codes. So here's what I know I have power to fuel pump and pump works
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Update this morning car running well and lighting working correctly. I'm going to clamp the gas tank back in place put the ecu back in place and drive it. The ready going to the fuel pump gets hot I wonder if I should replace it ir what can cause it to get hot
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

Would you like some suggestions on what could be wrong and what direction to take next to help diagnose this condition?