Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

Ferrari F430: Ferrari F430. Battery was dead after not driving

Ferrari F430. Battery was dead after not driving for 4 weeks. Disconnected electrical as recommended. Charged battery as usual to full charge (the interstate battery is 2 years old). Reconnected electrical shut off. Put key in. Alarm system sounded (as usual). Pressed Key fob. Alarm stopped. Car usually starts at this point. This time it won't. Normally I hear a long servo type sound and transmission goes to "0" to start. Now servo sound is too short and transmission stays in "1". "OK" light comes on, but car won't start. Lights go out when I press start button but nothing else happens. Suggestions??

I'd try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately this didn't work. I did what you suggested. I also had the battery checked and it is at full charge. I'm going to try the other key and check the fuses. The "OK" light comes on when I try to start and the ECU sounds normal, but the transmission doesn't move from "1" to "0" to allow the engine to start. I'm not going to be able to get to this until the end of the week, but I appreciate your help and suggestions. Thanks

Hello Karl

also worth checking that the level of oil in the hydraulic fluid reservoir if its low then you'll need to top it up and then bleed it

however this isn't something that can be done without the diagnostic kit ( SD3)

F1 Gearbox procedure (not for manual gear) :

1- Connect the SD-3 system to the diagnosis plug-in.
2- Choose "Diagnosis" from the main menu.
3- Choose "CLUTCH DRAINING" from the "DIAGNOSIS" menu.
4- Add oil into the tank to prevent the oil level from running low.
5- Press "ENTER" to activate the tester.
6- Open the clutch draining union and wait 3÷4 seconds to let the oil flow out.
7- Close the draining union once again.
8- Top up the oil level in the tank.
9- Repeat procedures 6-7-8 two or three times, on both draining unions.
10- Once this operation is complete, lock the unions to a torque of 18 Nm (Class A).
11- Wait for the tester to exit the draining procedure and to display the related positive result.
12- Shift gears a couple of times and top-up the level.

In the system, as well as the union (Pic 1) on the gearbox, there is also a second union (Pic 2) on the block for the clutch pipe rapid coupling, located in position with the right-hand rear fastening point of the gearbox support frame.