K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Jeep Liberty: 2007 Jeep liberty. manual transmission 6 speed.

2007 Jeep liberty. manual transmission 6 speed. Gear shift lever is rotating and moves vertically about an inch.
Hello, this is happening due to wear in the "shift tower" assembly. this part is rather pricey as a complete unit ($550.00) You may want to see if your local dealer could possibly replace the worn parts or try to find one in good shape from a salvage yard or ebay. Sorry to be the bearer of this bad news.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. I have to use the vehicle on a work related 120 mile trip on Wed. My mechanic can only look at it on Tue. In your opinion is it safe to make this trip. Your opinion only no feet to the fire so to speak. I first noticed it three days ago. Vehicle has 56000 mls.Thanks Derek

You should be fine for a short trip like that. Try to apply slight downward pressure when shifting.