K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

My 1988 Nissan Sentra Hatchback alternator keeps going out.

My 1988 Nissan Sentra Hatchback alternator keeps going out. I'm told by my Nissan technician that Nissan no longer makes alternators for my '88 so I've been getting NAPA rebuilds and the last one lasted only 4 months. I was told by another mechanic that
there may be a problem with my electric system, in particular with the regulator. I really want to keep my car. It only has 135,000 miles on it. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Hello, welcome to The problem with remanufactured alternators (even NAPA brand) is that if a part passes a test they do not replace it. Your mechanic is likely correct that the internal voltage regulators are failing due to this.
My suggestion would be to seek out an automotive electric specialty shop that rebuilds alternators and have them install all new parts in the alternator. Brand new voltage regulators are available and they will know where to get them from.
This will be a little more costly than the reman one (the proper regulator for your alternator is about 90.00 new) but they will last much longer and be more reliable.