K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

hyjundai santa fe: What is the dull/streaking that is occuring

What is the dull/streaking that is occuring below my rear wiper mount/rubber gromet?

Can it be corrected, it's not exactly rust, but seems to have altered the clearcoat of the paint job.
Hello, could you possibly post a picture of the area? There should be a paper clip icon at the top of your reply box where you can attach images.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll do that tomorrow, since I've seen this on several Hyundais and other cars as well I though the descritpion would be immediately identifiable.

My guess is that rain or something corrodes some element of the wiper armature and that leaks down, leaving a streak path on the paint below it.

thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got a problem, I've tried uploading the pic three times and keep failing or being told I need to disable the pop up blocker that is already disabled.

How esle can I get it to you?

Go to upload it there and post the link here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! It looks like the rain/washing may have caused some of the grease in the wiper mechanism to wash down. I'd suggest using some bug and tar remover spray (any parts store will have this) Then hand buffing it with a good carnuaba wax.

If it's still on there you might be able to wet sand it with some 2000 grit paper and buffing with rubbing compound.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll give it a shot.

If it's more than you want to mess with swing by a body shop. I doubt they would charge more than 50.00 to take care of it for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see this a lot on a vehicle close to 10 years old, part of what I need is to correct the issue so that it doesnt continue. Any ideas?

Pull the wiper blade off and spray the area well with some brake cleaner. then use some white lithium grease in the spray can. The white lithium tends to hold up to water much better.