Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

Hello, Im working on a 2002 Suzuki XL-7 that needs a rear

Hello, I'm working on a 2002 Suzuki XL-7 that needs a rear differential replacement. I have access to a 2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara to pull a replacement differential. Can you tell me if the gear ratio's are the same and will they interchange? Thanks, Jack
Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now.
Are both auto trans. manual trans or a combo of? thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Both are 4WD auto.

From what I have checked, yes,, they are interchangeable. they carry ame part number and gear ratios do not change
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I think you may be mistaken. I've found spec sheets on line for both Grand Vitara and XL-7. It seems that the Grand Vitara uses a 4.875 ratio and the XL-7 uses a 5.125 ration. Please check your information and let me know.

I had gathered information from the shop. I will double check and will get back with you asap. I am sorry for the confusion. I was relying on outside source information to help confirm
Ok, I checked with my colleages and they have rechecked and helped to reconfirm. In fact the part numbers are the same for both, there is a sub clause as to ratio
I misunderstood what they told me and my research as the "manual" trans is the same differential but the auto trans are not
It was a cross communictaion between my people and myself. I am sorry for that
So,, the "AUTO " trans cary 2 different ratios. 5.125 4.875 with manual trans both at the 4.300 ratio
With this said. i am sorry for the wrong initial information. I try to double check everything before I give an answer and in this case, I misunderstood the manual vs auto
Since they are different ratios? sure each will fit, but this will throw off the sync with trans and speed sensors so no,, the 2003 will not work in your application