hilltop4527
hilltop4527, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Independent repair shop owner/operator experience with many makes and models both foreign and domestic.
70175367

Dodge RAM 1500: 03 ram 1500 4.7 eng. auto, 4wheel drive ,heavy

03 ram 1500 4.7 eng. auto, 4wheel drive ,heavy pinging heard when leaving a stop sign. tried 94 fuel no improvement.
Is the check engine light on and if so have you retrieved any diagnostic codes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

check engine light is not on,engine idles smooth,starts clean

Thanks for that information. I'm going to open this back up to our other Dodge techs. Someone should be with you shortly.
Hi I see you are having some trouble. I will try to help but first I have a question. Are you sure this noise is coming from the engine? Sometimes dry universal joints in the driveline can cause this sound upon acceleration.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

with brakes locked truck in gear, opening throttle causes engine to rattle

Without being there and actually hearing the rattle it is hard for me to know exactly what is causing your noise. Alot of these have timing chains and tensioners causing a rattle. As bad as I hate to say you are probably going to be stuck taking this one into the shop.
hilltop4527, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Independent repair shop owner/operator experience with many makes and models both foreign and domestic.