Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

land rover freelander: 03 L.R. freelander .. runs great ,no

03 L.R. freelander .. runs great ,no hesitation ,quiet and smooth ... But after I drive it,turn it off it fails to start. But I can rely on it starting if it sits for a while (1 - ? Hours). Starts right up no problem.. 110,000 miles and I just bought it so don't know history. The service engine light is on ,and I've replace the crank sensor so far?? Noticed the cut off switch ticking , is it supposed to?

when its fails to start does it crank / turn over OK?, also what engine size and fuel type is this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
V6 gasoline ,automatict..the sport edition if that helps..
Yes it turns over but I can turn it over till the battery goes dead.and its a good battery so I've sat there turning it over far 30 40 min sometimes , ,but give it time and it just starts right up.. its so reliable that way.. every morning i can start it up run all over town ,or just a few blocks and turn it off and I'm stuck .. I've tried disconnecting battery for a few and recollect but nothing..I'm usually good with tracking problems like this but now can't afford shots in the dark like the crank sensor.. that cost me 90 and no help..

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;
Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle position sensor

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will check all listed connections in the morning.

is there a way to test my fuel cut off switch thats behind all the shout at me every time i open the hood(not really shouting at me ) because there is a little symbol on the firewall pointing at it and the symbol is gas pump with a slash through would that randomly go out in heat and how do i determine it???thanks

Hello Brandon

the fuel cut-off has a little button on it that pops up in the event of an accident just ensure that the button is depressed and it should be powered up