Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

1966 327 v/8 p/glide to 1999 S-10 T-5 What flywheel?

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

It gets a little deeper than what flywheel because of the starter, and other related parts. I can keep you out of trouble here because I have done so many Chevy swaps in the past, and I learned the hard way what fits and doesn’t fit. The setup you need will depend the engine block you have, and how it is setup for a starter. Out of the factory 85 and older sbc (small block chevy) takes the 168 tooth flywheel, with the staggered starter bolt pattern, and the 86 and newer sbc take the 153 tooth flywheel, with the straight across starter, so watch out for this twist. Also in 66 327 engines were transitioning from bellhousing mounted starters to block mounted starters. In 66 it is pretty rare to see a bellhousing mounted starter and most of the engine blocks were tapped for block mounted starters. For a 1966 block you need to get the 168 tooth flywheel, and a starter with the staggered bolt pattern, to make it all work, and allow the starter to crank the engine. This is critical or it all goes down the rathole as we say.

From there you just need a neutral balance flywheel. Any pre 1986 sbc flywheel except the 400 scb flywheel will be the correct balance. So that covers the starter and flywheel, be careful on the clutch and pressure plate, the Borg and Beck style pressure plate wont clear most T5 bellhousings, you need the diaphragm type pressure plate for internal bellhousing clearance. The flywheel you choose determines the clutch pressure plate diameter, and the input shaft spline pattern on the T5 determines the clutch spline you need. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a ring gear 12-13/16 diameter with 153 teeth as I read your answer i have a after 86 ring gear.I then require a flywheel from a 86 or newer small block and the starter should be ok

There are two things wrong with a 153 tooth flywheel on this engine. #1 it will knock the engine out of balance, it will vibrate like the devils own jack hammer pounding the downtown streets of hell, LOL. I mean real bad. Next the starter you need for the 327 block wont mesh with the 153 tooth flywheel, so the starter will kick out and just go zinggg, but wont turn the engine. You need to totally get rid of the 153 tooth flywheel, and get a 168 tooth flywheel, and the matching stock block mount 66 model 327 starter.
Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.