Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Audi Q7: I have a 2007 Audi Q7 w 85k miles. Just bought used.

I have a 2007 Audi Q7 w 85k miles. Just bought used. Drove great on test drive but problem with engine sputtering ever since w check engine light on. Took to local mechanic -code 301. Changed coil pack cylinder 1 and all spark plugs. No improvement n light still on. Mild improvement in sputter w 100% gas (no ethanol) and bottle of sea foam but still w sputter w acceleration w engine at 2500-3000 rpm. Took to audi dealer b/c they told my local mechanic that there was something under recall. Took it there but it was not. Found problem w vacuum hoses n replaced all 4. Mild improvement only but now getting worse. Now w sputter at idle where it did not have before. Took it back to my original mechanic. He checked everything he can without success. Says that fuel pumps check out ok. Did compression test n ok. Tested gas and looks ok. Engine light still on -code 300 random misfire but he thinks cylinder 1 is at fault. Checked new coil pack n spark plugs n they are ok. He is getting no where w assistance from audi. Don't want to take back to audi dealer again. 2-3 hours away. Any thoughts?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

With what has been tested here and replaced this may be a fault with one or more fuel injectors on the engine itself.I have seen these restrict in some cases and cause this or fail electronically and cause this as well.

If the injectors were not tested this should be done and should be able to be done by the mechanic to see if one or more are at fault.If the mechanic has an injector cleaning machine this can be used to clean the injectors to see if it will correct this issue here.If it does not and an injector tests at fault then most likely it would need replaced.

If the injectors were already tested and found to be o.k. let me know.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is what my local mechanic thought as well. He suggested pulling the fuel injector and cleaning, but he is an independent mechanic that primarly works on foreign cars but he does not the Audi tool to pull the fuel injectors. Closest Audi dealer is 2-3 hours away and then there is the price to pay Audi labor. I am not a mechanic but I have read more than I can imagine about misfires - EGR valves, bad wiring assembly, etc. Any other thoughts?

He should be able to test the electrical circuit to the injectors to make sure the signals are correct.If found to be correct then next would be to have them tested using a fuel pressure test gage and a scan tool or injector pulse tool to pulse each injector to see if one is restricted or operating incorrectly.If one or more are found at fault they would need replaced or cleaned.

If the egr is at fault usually an egr code would set and if it is stuck open this can cause severe engine running issues.I still think this may be an injector a fault needing cleaned or replaced.The injectors do need special tools to remove them as well as the intake needing removed.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete