Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Daewoo Lanos: I have a 1999 Daewoo Lanos.The engine seems to

I have a 1999 Daewoo Lanos.The engine seems to run fine with the transmission in park. When I shift to drive the car will accelerate very slowly to 15 to 20 mph and then looses power then surges forward then decelerates back on forth. Any Ideas? Respectfully, Greg
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to try and assist you with this.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

The general rule of thumb is if the engine runs and revs up properly in park or neutral with no issues but bogs down when placed in drive like this this usually indicates this is a transmission component at fault.I have seen this type of fault occur a few times in the past and all 3 of them were faults with the transmission torque converter itself.One of them had damaged the input shaft on the transmission from the torque converter failure.

From what you have described this sounds like what may be at fault here.It may be locking up causing the lack of power and then unlocking which will give you the surge in power then locking up again.

I would have the transmission checked into on this vehicle here to see if this is the case,most likely it is.It usually will be either the torque converter in the transmission at fault,the input shaft on the transmission at fault due to the torque converter damaging it or possibly the electrical lock up solenoid for the torque converter.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete