Alex, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist

suzuki vitara: I have a 2001 suzuki vitara 2.0 4cyl . I am

I have a 2001 suzuki vitara 2.0 4cyl . I am getting a chatter from timing chain or valve train periodically. just re-built engine. It runs fine otherwise any ideas on what could cause the chatter?
Hello, My name isXXXXX for using Just Answer.

Do you know if the timing chain, tensioner, and guides were replaced?

What parts were replaced in the cylinder head, if any?

Please let me know and I will do my best to help you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the problem existed before I rebuilt the engine . It had 227000 miles.I am thinking it may be the timing chain set .i put a new one on before I rebuilt the engine. It is an off brand, it does not have the yellow link on it. the tensioner gives up at certain points. I reinstalled it on the engine;thinking the oil pump was not putting out enough pressure. Does the tensioner on the small chain work off of oil pressure? I did not buy a new one yet. do you think this could be the problem? I am going to be out for a while tonight . I will get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks

Sorry for the delay. It does sound like the tensioner is faulty, even if it is new. It shouldn't be giving up anywhere. The complete fix is to replace the tensioner and guides with genuine OEM parts.