Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Suzuki Grand Vittari: I live in Costa Rica and my 1999 Suzuki

I live in Costa Rica and my 1999 Suzuki Grand Vittari automatic has started dragging, then lurching when it changes gears. It feels like I'm driving in 2nd..?
HI,

are any warning lights such as the check engine light on?

how many miles on it and how many miles since the mechanic tightened the bands on the transmission?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the Check Engine light came on, but the mechanic disabled it. after quickly checking the car over ; 2 weeks ago he did major repair work to theXXXXXand wheel axles, filters etc....it has 108, 517 kilometers on it, and I have driven roughly 200 miles since the bands were tightened. Costa Rica has bad roads with lots of potholes and uneven pavement, deeply rutted dirt roads

HI,

If the check engine light came on about the same time as the transmission issues it might be related. If not, then unlikely related. You need to ask your mechanic if the fault codes he cleared were in the P0700 to P0890 range. If they were, then they were transmission related and he needs to pull up the codes again and diagnose those codes.

If not related, then the transmission drum, bands and clutch packs have excessive wear and the transmission needs to be rebuilt. the fact that the band adjustment only helped for 200 miles, also points to it needing to be rebuilt.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay---is that normally an expensive repair?

HI,

I dont know what the costs in Costa Rica will be, but in the USA, it would run about $2400 parts and labor to rebuild.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you!

you are welcome and have a safe summer!

please dont forget to rate service. thanks!