Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Ford Titanium x: I have no GPS satellites found in my mondeo

Customer Question

I have no GPS satellites found in my mondeo mk4 2009 titanium, replaced both aerial and base nit but still no sat nav. A few weeks ago my stereo went very loud when I got into the car and a load of distortion, so much so that I had to switch the audio off. The next time I got into he car the radio
Volume and reception had gone back to normal but no sat nav?

Please help. Sat nav is not denso.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

Did the satellite radio/GPS issue occur after the radio volume increased and distorted or was the GPS problem an issue before the volume issue?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the distortion / volume issue and didn't need to use the sat nav for a week but it just too strange to not be linked. Before the volume issue I had used the sat nav with no probs.

I changed both base and whip as I know by the net it's a regular problem with mondeos that water gets into the base unit. Mine did have water in it and some coorrosion but changing the parts didn't cure the fault...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,from what you have described here this doesn't sound like the arial or base was the cause for this here and since the volume had gone loud like this here and distorted when it did get loud this sounds like a fault with the radio/nav itself.

I have seen this type of fault on various models in the past and with what is described as well as the ones I had seen this was an internal electrical fault in the radio/nav itself and needed replaced to correct this.From what you have described this sounds like the fault here.I would have this checked/tested further to be sure though before having it replaced.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This would be very costly as I believe the complete touch panel is approx £1500. The radio works fine, it's just the sat nav not working so I am having to use a Tom Tom.. Is the no fuse protection for the sat nav that's separate to the radio?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately my info on this vehicle doesn't give me much to look at so it is difficult to say from here if there is a fuse protection for the sat nav itself or if they are both radio and sat/nav fed by the same fuse.I would have this checked/tested further to be sure this is the component at fault.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I right in saying that the main touch screen unit connects to radio and GPS through the aerial and base unit on the roof, I see fr sale on eBay small black units described as GPS units. This looks like a small back unit with no other exterior connections. In changing the roof aerial whip and its base am I changing the correct GPS unit?
The unit I am looking at is on eBay, item number 111092619269
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This is a GPS antennae assembly and can be mounted on either the roof or trunk or near the back or front glass.If your vehicle has this antennae assembly this may be the one for the GPS signal in your vehicle here.If it does not then the one you had replaced may be the one for the GPS.Unfortunately my info on this model is fairly limited so its difficult to say for sure but the one on e bay you have listed here is one I have seen attached in these locations listed here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to tell if my car as this extra GPS unit. It's certainly not visible..
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this vehicle here.If you want I can opt out and put this back on the list to see if anyone else can assist more just let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok Pete, how do I opt out and go back on the list

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out and put this question back on the list.

Thanks Pete
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE -

You mention this is not the Denso unit -

What do you have ?

Too - please give me the Full reg number of the Mondeo you have -

Rgds, MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike

reg number is BG58 OHK 2009 2.2 titanium estate. Blaupunkt touch unit.

regards - rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi mike,
Reg number BG58 OHK 2.2 titanium x estate 2009.

The touch screen unit is a blaupunkt one not Denso.

Regards -rob
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Rob -

Thank you for your reply / info -

Ok -yes I know the one.. This is not a fuse issue or anything like that - The usual fault is indeed with the aerial / antenna unit Rob - the one you have replaced it seems - the symptoms you have are not that though - not the "usual".. yes loss of satellites is - or, a tendency for the unit to default to Belgium sats... but the symptoms you described point to an internal fault with the unit Im afraid -that caused the volume issue as well..

Hard to say exactly what - at this point I would have thought a voltage spike - but that would usually affect other things too - such as your dash etc..so in the absence of that , it could be literally anything internally - I would suggest send the unit to a specialist Rob - it will be considerably cheaper than replacement..( other than second hand replacement )... they can always give you a quote for repair anyway and then you can decide from there - But this is not in line with the antenna issues no -

I can suggest a company for you if you like - they are HERE.. give them a call and they will talk you through it all -inc costs etc... it may be well worth it Rob / save you a lot of money...

Im sorry there is no other way on this - you have done all you can - it has to be down to an internal fault now / chip fault etc..

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.