sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Mini Cooper checkmate: I have a humming noise comming from

I have a humming noise comming from my 2006 Mini Cooper Checkmate Cvt , I've been told it could possibly be the automatic transmission, and I understand that there had been a lot of trouble with the early models but was hoping this was not the case with my car as it has only done 69,000! . Is it possible to have no other symptoms than the humming noise If your transmission is beginning to go?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that the noise could be coming from the transmission but it could also be tires or wheelbearing noise.

Take a look at the tires and make sure they aren't cupped or chopped. Tires can make noise very similar to bad wheel bearings when they have uneven wear.

Take the car for a ride. While it's making the noise gently swerve a little to the left and right and see if the noise changes pitch or goes away when turning one direction or the other. If it does then you have a wheel bearing problem.

If tires and wheel bearings can be ruled out then the noise is most likely coming from the transmission, a stethoscope while running the car on a hoist or Chassis Ears can be used to make sure the noise is in the trans before replacing it.

It's definitely possible to have no other symptoms besides a noise. There are many components in the trans that can fail and make noise but not immediately cause a performance problem.

If it's making noise then unfortunately changing the fluid isn't going to help, so I wouldn't waste any money on that.