Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Porsche 968: I have a 1994 968. I have an engine studder or

I have a 1994 968. I have an engine studder or miss at around 2500 to 3500 rpm. Usually in 4th fifth or sixth gears. If I step on accelerator it will come out of it. If I start out in 1st and run it hard through the gears it runs just fine. Seems like I smell fuel when it starts missing.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

From what you have described here this sounds like a possible internal fault with one of the fuel injectors.The injector may operate properly when accelerating or on the gas pedal heavily but at lower engine rpm it may not be atomizing properly or may be leaking slightly into the intake.This will cause the fuel smell described here as well as the studder/misfire felt.

I would have the fuel injectors tested as well as spark to see if any of these are found to be at fault.Once the fault is located it can be repaired from there to correct this issue.This sounds like an injector at fault possibly but I wouldn't rule out faulty spark.Usually a spark issue can become worse when stepping on the throttle more and in this case the studder clears up.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is this something I can do myself? Is there an additive that I can add to correct?

In some cases you can add fuel injector cleaner to the fuel tank and run the vehicle to where the tank is near empty and this may help clean up a sticking injector but in other cases the injector may need cleaned by a shop or dealer with their cleaning machine or replaced if it is unable to be cleaned up.

To test this would require an injector pulse tool and a fuel pressure test gage which most shops or a dealer would have to do this testing here.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete