SARMIENTO22556, Auto Service Technician

Mini Cooper - Base: I have a 2005 Mini Cooper base model withe

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper base model withe auto transmission. The trifecta of dash lights (ABS /DSC / TPMS) was not solved by replacing the wheel speed sonsors. A known good ABS module was obtained (same part #) and I replaced the older unit. The replacment required all 6 brake lines to be removed from the old unit and reconnected to the known good ABS. Obviously air got into the lines. I have tried bleeding at the brakes in the normal pattern of passenger rear / driver rear / passenger front / driver front. But the brakes are still spongy and do not work. Is there a way to bleed the ABS & master cylinder? What have I done wrong? How do I fix this?
Category: Car
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to,

ok there is probably still a lot of air in the system. the best way to bleed the brake system is a follows. get a jug about a half of a gallon. put some brake fluid in the bottom. put a clear hose in the bottle and make sure it is submerged below the brake fluid. open the right rear bleeder first. carefully pump the pedal with the bleeder open and the hose below the brake fluid in the jug. make sure you have some one check the level in the master cylinder constantly and don't let it go empty. pump the pedal 10-15 times until there are no bubbles and the fluid runs clear. repeat with the rear left, right front and left front. closing the bleeder after every wheel. check your pedal again you should have a good pedal now

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that is exactly what I have done 3 times but still no pedal pressure. is there a way to bleed the ABS?

the hose has been completed immersed in brake fluid? are you pumping the brakes over 1o times each wheel?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does the engine need to be running to activate the ABS and force fluid thru it?

no , but the key should probably be in the on position to activate the solenoids in the pump.
Yes, I don't understand why you rated my service poor. I don't believe we were done working on your issue. please don't rate my service until we are completely done and you are completely satisfied with my answers and suggestions.