Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Saab 9-3 Linear: My 2005 9-3 has started having an intermittent

My 2005 9-3 has started having an intermittent problem starting. It will start and run fine, but after I shut it off sometimes it will not start again. I just cranks and cranks, but won't catch. If I leave it alone for an hour or two it will start fine. I have heard that a weak battery could cause this by not getting enough juice to the fuel pump / injector system. I have also read that a faulty crankshaft position sensor could be the cause. Any suggestions?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

One common problem that is known to cause this issue here is the crank shaft position sensor.This sensor can heat up with engine temperature and over time with this happening this can cause the sensor to intermittently lose its signal.In some cases this can cause an engine stall out and in others it can cause a no start like this here.Usually with the no start the vehicle has to sit a short period of time to allow the sensor to cool then the vehicle would be able to restart.

From what you have described here this sounds like the component at fault and is fairly common to cause this here.If you have plenty of voltage to turn over the engine and the electronics work in the vehicle when this occurs I don't think this is a weak voltage issue and in most cases a fuel pump wont act up like this either.Most likely this is the crank sensor (located above the starter) at fault here.I would have fault codes checked in the engine computer as well as diagnostic testing done to verify this is the fault.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete