Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Power Steering problem when hot and @ idle

Customer Question

I have 3.8 supercharged grand prix & i changed a leaking pump. she drove it bone dry for awhile i think. Now i have changed the pump twice thinking it was a bad pump tht i put on & flushed the system so as to get rid of any metal debree. SO the problem is it has noise coming out of the pump when the car at idle, when turning, also hard steering, almost like no power assist when trying to park. but it is fine steering as long as your giving it gas.

Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

I am sorry you have had to wait so long for the first contact. Sometimes this happens when the question you ask is not detailed enough or its just hard to address online. Many have viewed your post, but have passed. I am checking to see if you still need help.

I am not going to lie, this concern is not my strongest point, but I will do my best to help you. I have access to many repair sites, so at the least I can provide something to address at least part of your concern if it is not something I can address from memory and experience.

I mainly work in the last half of the day, so that is when I do all of my responding. If there is anything else you can add to your concern to help me out more so I can help you out in turn please do so in your next reply.

Once you get an answer, you will be prompted to rate me. You are rating my help, not the website, or answer. If you feel the need to rate negative, please save the rating so I can try again or find someone whom may be able to help better.

Thanks for using our site, we will do all we can to earn your business, again sorry we did not get to you sooner.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI No worries I am in need of help. I dont want to rate you bad. So as long as you keep responding to me untill you say i can not help you then i will rate you good weather we fix it or not. If you just disappear like the last guy & tell me nothing then i will rate you bad, deal? JUst tell me i dont know scram I would be happier with that then just ignoring while your online.

So anyways. So did you read my question? What do you think how can i clarify more to help you understand my problem?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i may be making this too hard. I think it does have the problem all the time. SO how do i put a vacuum on the system i have an ac hand held vacuum can i use that? I have never used a vacuum except to vacuum bleed brakes a long time ago so maybe i do need to just get all the air out

Since the system was ran dry this means the pump distributed all kinds of metal through out the system. When this occurs the rack and pump need to be replaced together. While there out the lines need to be flushed forwards and backwards using brake cleaner and compressed air. Once all is clean install the new parts and fluid. Start the vehicle and steer left to right from stop to stop a few times then adjust the fluid level. Next place a hand held vacuum pump on the P/S and pull the system into a 15 hg vacuum while running and steering left to right to pull the air out.