SARMIENTO22556
SARMIENTO22556, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, ADVANCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE,OVER 20 YRS. ON ALL MAKES OF VEHICLES
8532170

Mercury Villager: I was backing my 1999 Mercury Villager out

I was backing my 1999 Mercury Villager out of my driveway and as soon as I put it in reverse the engine died and now, the engine won't turn over or anything. No sound comes from the car at all. Do you have any suggestions as to what may have happened?

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com,

first you need to check the battery and the terminals to make sure they are not loose. sounds like you lost all main power.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

New battery and new cables. Vehicle was running fine before with no problems. Started the car to pull out of driveway and as soon as I placed in reverse the engine died. No clunk, no noise what so ever. After that it was dead. Still had power seats, power windows, gauge lites and everything else worked. Just no power to engine.

please double check all the connections when the cables were replaced, some where there is a fault. This has to be related to the repair.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I already performed the basic troubleshooting.my understanding is mercury made an upgrade to the nissan that prevented further damage to the engine incase of a broken timing belt. I believe that is what happened here but I am not sure. It doesn't matter any way because since I couldnt get an answer, and there were too many variables that could be the cause, and it wouldn't make much since putting 1500 dollars into something only worth 1000, I got rid of it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok sometimes its just best to cut your losses and move on. thanks for using justanswer.com and i am sorry you didn't get the answer you were looking for. Please don't hesitate to use our service in the future. We have helped a lot of customers with their automotive issues.