Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,

Chevy Tahoe: I have an 05 tahoe and While I was at a drive

I have an 05 tahoe and While I was at a drive through I heard my fans going and looked at gauge and it was Almost pegged, so I pulled over and carefully released the pressure from the overflow. Once the pressure was gone I checked the fluid level and it was fine and en I started it again the temp was I little above where it usually is. As I drove down the road it varied between hot and not. So I thought it might be thermostat since usually if its a pump it makes a racket and drains like a sive. Got home switched thermostat and to no avail, still overheating. As it gets hot it seams to sit there and boil in reservoir . With heater on ,I get only cool air. Could it be my heater core( hopefully not $$$$$$$). Please advise
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Hi .

I suggest you have a Combustion leak test done to confirm that you don't have a bad headgasket , as this is what it sounds like , unless the cooling fans are not working fully .

But if driving down the road does not cool the engine down and still boils over then this could well be a blown headgasket .

Click here to see what to do .

Need further assistance then please get back to me with the reply box and not the poor or bad service button .

Rgds Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience: 17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did the first test of squeezing the top hose and there wasn't any pressure
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Hi Gary

Okay then just remove the radiator cap and have it tested, you could well have just a bad radiator cap , this will explain the water /coolant being pushed out into the reservoir .

Do this first . if cap is good do the test is said , if the water is boiling in the reservoir .
there must be some pressure .

Greg