Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

I have a 2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L/V6. Whenever I put the key

I have a 2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L/V6. Whenever I put the key into the ignition, the overhead light inside the car stays on after I turn the ignition on and while I'm driving. I want to know if there is something wrong with one of my sensors and if there is, what should do? take it to a shop or try to fix it manually?

Eclayton4 :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Eclayton4 :

First of all, lets make sure it's not on, you have turned the light switch all the way down to dim all the dash lights and it still stayed on correct?

Customer:

correct

Eclayton4 :

OK, Does it stay on after you exit the vehicle with the key out of the switch? or does it cut off then?

Customer:

It stays on after I exit the vehicle with the key out.

Eclayton4 :

So it stays on pretty much all the time then correct? does it ever go out?

Customer:

It goes out eventually. I'd estimate the light will stay on maybe 5, 10 min. tops then it shuts off.

Eclayton4 :

alright, The microswitches are located in the door lock assemblies, have you tried spraying a liberal amount of WD 40 into the latch mechanisms, and opening and closing the door about 5 times, then repeating that? Sometimes dirt and grime can make the switches stick. It's hard to say for sure which door. but I would guess the passenger side as that door switch doesn't get worked as much as the drivers does. Is this problem constant and happens all the time? or once in a while?

Customer:

No, I haven't tried using the WD 40 on the latch mechanisms like you suggest. I'll make sure to try that and see if it'll help. Wouldn't i use the driver side, since I drive practically everyday?....just askin'....also...this issue started about 2 months or so ago. And yeah, it is constant. Like i stated, I when open the car door, the light comes on and when I put the key into the ignition, the light will stay on, even while I'm driving. It used to turn off, but for some reason, last couple months, it''

Customer:

it'll stay on even while i'm driving and after i take the key out.

Eclayton4 :

The GEM module will shut the car down after the key is out for a while, so I'm not surprised it goes out. That doesn't mean the door latch switch isn't still stuck however,

Eclayton4 :

Yes, the drivers door is used 300X as much as the passenger side door. So I suspect the passenger side door switch over the drivers. But, that is a guess,

Eclayton4 :

It's one or the other in my opinion, Another test is this, Crank the car, let it idle with the light stuck on, and open and close the passenger door about 10 times and see if it goes off, if it doesn't. do the same with the drivers door. (After spraying down the latches best you can and cleaning them while leaving the door panels on).

Customer:

Alright. I'll try that as well. Thank you for your advise Mr. Eclayton. I really appreciate it. Anything that you think that'll help.

Eclayton4 :

I believe that should solve it, if not, you can try to disconnect the latches one at a time and see which one makes the light go out, you will have to remove the door panels to do that however. thank you.