tripletauto
tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certifed master tech gm certifed 20 years experience

how do we restore ourselves and our cars to where they should

Customer Question

how do we restore ourselves and our cars to where they should be in a hurry?
Category: Car
Expert:  tripletauto replied 1 year ago.

I will be happy to try and assist you today. Can you please clarify your question.

Are you trying to restore a car? If so what make,model and year?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey there tripleauto! Well basically speaking, there are 2 issues which I am attempting to get my head around here. The first one being that I developed a sudden phobia about getting behind the wheel of my car again, after a sudden and unexpected mishap with it. And the second issue is the car itself.....a July 1963 mercedes-benz, as far as I know about my car (I am NOT a car expert, you see!). So, how to go ahead with the phobia....is it WISE or not to resume driving, given my present apprehension (though I am FAR from a COWARD!) - or just leave well enough alone, and cease the whole affair. Plus is that 1963 model worth keeping; is there any monetary value attached to fixing it at this point....or is it time (if I drive again?) to get a brand new car, a more trustworthy and newer model. There are my two questions, in a nutshell.

As far as your phobia, I am not an expert in that field. I understand what you are going thru with that.My wife was in a wreck and caused her some anxiety driving again and all, So some of that is normal,but you need to talk to a professional in that area for that.

as far as the car is concerned what model is it? The sl models have a very good resale value in the 20k-30k dollar range in excellent shape. The question on that is how nice is your car and how much money would it take to restore it?

If you are just fed up with the vehicle then in my opinion you are probably not going to have the patience of dealing with a restoration. There is always unknowns that pop up and take more money. You may be better off to just sell it as is for a little less profit and let someone else have the project.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well thank you tripleauto.....your answer was concise and to the point. Of course I think that the suggestion here, or what you wish to communicate is that these things are completely up to my own discretion. And yes, there can be no doubt that with my current feelings of anxiety, a talk with some professional is required. I alrady have been doing all of that for another issue, so perhaps the best thing there is to adhere to the motto: "if it ain't broke, why fix it.....leave it alone". So for now, I will remain with my current professional, and see how that goes.

And as for the car; well I guess that upon consideration, CARS are really not that important to me. I am admittedly attracted to a nifty, shiny and impressive car - but the need and necessity for ME to personally drive one is probably irrelevant. So just as you suggest (if I am interpreting you correctly?), I'll have to further think the matter over, and reach a final decision. And thanks again for the above advice; best that could be rendered really, when I think of it. Sincerely, Kathleen.

No problem,

Yes fixing the car up is up to the owner, This is usually done because of a love for the car with sentimental attachment or a dream of owning one. I cannot see the vehicle so how much work is needed is not known. From your replies it sounds like something you probably don't want to waste time and money with doing. Good luck to you with the vehicle and your personal issues. Hope all works out well for you.