Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

chrylser town and country: I have a 1997 chrysler town and

I have a 1997 chrysler town and country van engin quits when driving and will restsart most of the time in a few moments but this time it will not the engin shows no codes
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

AMEDEE :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

AMEDEE :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question

AMEDEE :

Are you saying that the engine has stalled out but does not restart?

AMEDEE :

Does the engine crank over and not start?

AMEDEE :

Or does it not crank over at all?

AMEDEE :

What size engine do you have?

Customer:

yes I tried some starting fluid to see if was ingition or fuel and ran until the fluid was gone

AMEDEE :

So the engine must have spark when cranking it over correct?

Customer:

the engin cranks fine but will not start

AMEDEE :

Ok, if it runs on starting fluid, then it has spark when cranking it over

AMEDEE :

Have you checked fuel pressure or injector pulse?

Customer:

yes I was wondering if it could be a crankshaft or cam sensor with out throwing a code

AMEDEE :

If the engine has spark when cranking it over, then the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors should be working

AMEDEE :

Customer:

no, I did not ,but seems to hapen at low throttle if it had no injector pulse it would set a code

AMEDEE :

it all depends on the situation

AMEDEE :

how did you check for codes?

Customer:

with a good code reader

AMEDEE :

ok, good

AMEDEE :

thank you for that information

AMEDEE :

If the engine runs on starting fluid, we know it has spark. This means we just have a fuel delivery condition

AMEDEE :

chances are you just have a bad fuel pump

Customer:

it seems to happen more often when temp out side is high

AMEDEE :

that would make sense

AMEDEE :

in addition, this would not set a code in the computer

Customer:

that is way I cant figer it out and that is why I changed the computer before and has not seemed to make a diferance

AMEDEE :

Ok, but if there is no fuel pressure, you might just have a bad fuel pump

AMEDEE :

this has nothing to do with the computer

AMEDEE :

That is why there is no codes

Customer:

but if it fails to have fuel presure when engin is running it will set a code

AMEDEE :

no

AMEDEE :

there is no code for low fuel pressure

AMEDEE :

there is no code for low or no fuel pressure

Customer:

so you think fuel presssure is the only thing it could be that would not set a code

AMEDEE :

yes

Customer:

and that fits with all the other systems

AMEDEE :

That is correct

Customer:

the reason I ask is, it is on the road an I want to make sure I take all needed to fix it

AMEDEE :

I hear you and I agree

AMEDEE :

You are doing the right thing

AMEDEE :

Based on what your telling me, your fuel pump is bad and will need to be replaced

Customer:

well thankyou and I will set out to fix it

AMEDEE :

Your welcome

AMEDEE :

Are you happy with my assistance today?

AMEDEE :

Hello?

AMEDEE :

I just need to know if your happy with my help thus far?

AMEDEE :

Well, I guess I am going to step out of chat since your not repsonding

AMEDEE :

IF your happy with my assistance, please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer positively

AMEDEE :

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page

AMEDEE :

It has been a pleasure working with you

AMEDEE :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

AMEDEE :

Have a great day!!

AMEDEE :

Regards

AMEDEE :

Amedee

Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector