AMD
AMD, Master Technician
Experience:  L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist

1996 Toyota Tacoma 3.4: Toyota Tacoma-3.4 I just had the engine

Customer Question

Toyota Tacoma-3.4 I just had the engine totally repaired. It's getting hot(I turn the heater on to cool).New thermostat,new radiator,new water pump. Hose by thermostat is cold,top hose is cole. Can the pump be installed backwards?
Category: Car
Expert:  AMD replied 10 months ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Car question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

Customer:

I meant to say the hose by the thermostat is cold. Meaning there's no circulation That include's the oil cooler line.

AMD :

Hello! How are you doing today?

Customer:

I am hoping you can help me. I can no type, please be pecient.

AMD :

I will do my best to help. You can take your time to type, I will be patient. Now if I may ask, Did you replace the parts yourself? or you are working with a mechanic?

Customer:

I had a mech. do the job. Look s like he is trying but no avail. It looks like the pump is noe recirculating. I bought a new thermostat. I ma thinking of doing myself.

AMD :

OK The pump cannot really be installed backwards. However you can have a very big air pocket in the system. Here's what I suggest. Raise and support the front of the car where the front is higher than the back, open the radiator cap and start the car and run it watching for bubbles and keep adding coolant. run it until either both hoses become hot or it starts overheating.

AMD :

If both hoses become hot and a lot of air comes out then you're all set.

AMD :

if not then I would be checking the head gasket.

AMD :

I doubt the issue is a flow issue it's more of trapped air issue.

AMD :

Like I said the water pump cannot be installed backwards.

AMD :

however the thermostat can

AMD :

so just to try, remove the thermostat and make sure it's installed properly

AMD :

Head gasket failures in that engine are common however a block test will be needed to be sure

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

He made a hole on the thermostat to let anti freeze in. Does that tell you anything?

AMD :

That tells me the thermostat has an issue.

AMD :

Get a new thermostat. Get an original thermostat from the dealership they are not expensive

Customer:

I just did. I just need assurance.Not very good with cars) thank you.

AMD :

OK I would get the new thermostat installed and make sure you bleed the system like I told you

AMD :

Raise the front and let it run for at least 1/2 hour with the radiator cap open and let all the air out

AMD :

if it still overheats then we most likely have something causing it to have a massive air pocket inside and block flow. I would check the head gasket next.

Customer:

Thanks for your help. Take care.

AMD :

You're welcome. I wish you the best. A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

thank you for using justanswer.com

AMD, Master Technician
Experience: L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

One thing I don't understand is that the hose were the thermostat is it is cold while the other is very hot. Should the antifreeze go to the thermostat first and then to the radiator to cool it?

Expert:  AMD replied 10 months ago.
The hose where the thermostat is returns coolant to the radiator when the thermostat opens. As long as the thermostat is closed that means there's no flow in that hose so of course it will be colder than the other hose. The other hose is the one that is circulating coolant from the engine. Once the thermostat opens the other hose where the thermostat is will start getting hot until it reaches the same level of heat as the other hose that's when the engine is at operating temperature.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I tried what you suggested but it did not work. At slow speed is OK but at 60 or over it gets hot.

Thank you for your help. I am going to install the new thermostat Tuesday although the mechanic said it looks like is blocked.

Expert:  AMD replied 10 months ago.
OK At this point we have verified that the issue is not related to air pockets.

Now let's start with a new thermostat. Make sure you buy an original thermostat from the dealership. It's not really expensive and they work alot better than the after market ones.

Let me know how it goes tuesday.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks again. I did buy original.

Expert:  AMD replied 10 months ago.
You're welcome. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I put in an original thermostat ,did not work. He installed a shorter one and drilled 2 holes on it. Now it gets hotter faster. The oil cooler line is also cold. The head gasket was the problem in the 1st. place. At idle speed it doesn't get hot. The oil is very clean and the engine runs very nice. The coolant was very clean.

This is a headache,I am down $3800 with no results.

Thank again

Expert:  AMD replied 10 months ago.
Hello Andy,

I'm sorry to hear about the headache. Head gaskets are common on those models, I had my fingers crossed waiting to hear it's just a thermostat but it's a head gasket. I'm sorry about that.

When you get the heads off make sure you check the deck for warpage. These are common to warp heads so make sure your heads are good if not send them to a machine shop. Check the block as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

All this was done at a shop. It had some warpage. The reason he took the engine down is because it was bringing coolant and oil to one spark plug. The engine never got hot. In your opinion, should I find another mechanic?

Expert:  AMD replied 10 months ago.
Let me ask you a few questions to know if you should get another mechanic or not.

Now did he just do the head gasket job? or was it a while back?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Just about 2 moths ago, It has been driven about 500 miles. He told me it looks like there was something blocking it. That is why he drilled 2 holes on the thermostat. Some coolant goes in, but when I replace it today with a new one I did not drill any holes. At home at idling speed was fine but as soon as Drove it t 45mpg it got very hot, I had to turn the heater on(like we need it in Florida)

Expert:  AMD replied 10 months ago.
Hello Andy,

The mechanic did something wrong here. I think you should take the vehicle back to them and tell them about the issue and have them recheck the head gasket.

A small leakage in the head gasket will cause flow issues. Also if they routed the hoses wrong that could also cause flow issues.

Since they've just replaced the head gasket take it back to them because drilling a hole in the thermostat defies the reason there's a thermostat to begin with so might as well just remove it.

Have the same mechanic double check their work, they shouldn't charge you anything because all automotive shops give a warranty of at least 12 months 12,000 miles on any repair especially a big one like a head gasket.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you very much for your help. Good night.

Expert:  AMD replied 10 months ago.
You're welcome Andy!

I wish you the best and I hope the issue gets resolved by the mechanic without additional costs to you.

Keep me informed of what happens and if you had any other questions.