Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2002 LR D2 started leaking power steering

Customer Question

My 2002 LR D2 started leaking power steering fluid and makin noise when turning the wheel. When it got below the min. level mark the hazards came on and wouldn't go out till I put fluid in it.
The level went down again and this time the hazards came on and the motor shut off. Is this some kind of built in warning ?
Wouldn't have been so bad if I wouldn't have been going 40 mph when it shut down.
Any ideas? Should I change the pump and/or lines? The pump is realy loud. And the rover only has about 80000 miles on it.
Category: Car
Expert:  Brendan Block replied 3 years ago.

Fidhle007 :

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a BMW tech, hopefully I can help you today!

Fidhle007 :

I've never heard of there being an automatic shutdown on an LR3 for a steering leak but it makes sense that it might be a built-in feature, especially if you have self-leveling suspension. A lot of self-leveling systems use oil pressure powered by the power steering pump and/or an air spring system to raise or lower the car and adapt to different road surfaces.

Fidhle007 :

If you continue to drive the car with low fluid and the leak, damaging the pump is an imminent danger (if it hasn't happened already) but worse, you run the risk of damaging more expensive steering and/or suspension components.

Fidhle007 :

If you plan to take the car to a dealer or specialist I might have it towed at this point in order to prevent damage, if you're doing the work you're going to have to make sure you have found the source of the leak and have fixed it before you can really delve into the flasher issue.

Fidhle007 :

First thing though, there is an inertia switch on the firewall that is worth resetting

Fidhle007 :

It is located on the fire wall passenger side in the engine compartment. Its black with a black rubber cover, simply press it down to reset it.

Fidhle007 :

Other than that, find that leak!

Fidhle007 :

Hopefully this is helpful, please don't forget to leave me a positive rating when you get a chance!

JACUSTOMER-zmtpu3cg- :

Thanks for trying but you did not tell me anything I hadn't allready figured out. The LR is a (D2). No self leveling system... If this is some kind of "safety " feature, I don't get it. How is shutting down the motor while in trafic at possibly high rates of speed safe...

JACUSTOMER-zmtpu3cg- :

Thankyou for trying but I guess I will need to call Land Rover Direct.

Fidhle007 :

Well, if its risking damage to your engine that may explain it

Fidhle007 :

bear with me one second, I am trying to look deeper into what could be causing this!

Fidhle007 :

Please don't rate me negatively for trying to help, if you are unsatisfied I can opt out and find you another expert

Fidhle007 :

Your rating reflects directly on me though and I'm just trying to help you!

JACUSTOMER-zmtpu3cg- :

You would think that a safety feature to protect your "motor" would not Endanger The LIVES of the people in the vehicle.

Fidhle007 :

Clearly not, that does seem strange!

Fidhle007 :

Did fluid leak onto your belt at all?

JACUSTOMER-zmtpu3cg- :

No, did not get the belt wet. I am truely sorry but this service is not worth the $29.00 I put up as a deposit.

Fidhle007 :

I'm not the only expert here, I'll gladly opt out and find you someone else

Fidhle007 :

just please, please don't leave me a negative rating

Fidhle007 :

It's 4 AM and I'm just trying to help you out.

JACUSTOMER-zmtpu3cg- :

No thanks. I will just wait till monday and jump through all the hoops to talk to someone at Land Rover.

Fidhle007 :

Your rating reflects only on me, not on the site or the service. I'm a tech at a small, independent shop that handles foreign cars and I do this to try and help out

Fidhle007 :

I see very little of your $29 and you do not have to pay if you do not accept the answer but please don't leave me a bad rating as well!

JACUSTOMER-zmtpu3cg- :

How do I not accept the answer without a less than ok rating?

Fidhle007 :

Don't rate me, I will opt out and submit this for a refund.

JACUSTOMER-zmtpu3cg- :

Thank you

Fidhle007 :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wasn't able to help.